Having trouble with Nernst equation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I think it's possible to get an actual calculation problem using it but not likely. I saw people joke about it on breakdowns, like "lucky I didn't get a nernst" or whatever.
 
Many times we assume that molar concentrations are 1M....pH is 7, and if gases are present, they are at 1 atm...and 25C The Nernst equation allows one to calculate cell voltage at DIFFERENT CONCENTRATIONS.

For example.....If you were to do dental research, and wanted to measure voltage generated by a metal touching an amalgam filling, you were need to use the Nernst equation because ions would clearly not be at 1M.

Make friends with this equation..... show it a little love.

Hope this Helps

Dr. Romano
 
Last edited: