having your own pharmacy...... canada vs usa.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leviathan_aaa99

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
in which country is it easier to have your own pharmacy Canad or USA ?

Members don't see this ad.

I know pharmacists in Canada make less, not sure if that translates for pharmacy ownership too. If moving north meant a better opportunity for me I'd do it.

Reactions: 1 user
Manitoba versus Minnesota only as we were trying to figure out at one point why the hell Canada is relatively expensive for pharmaceutical care even though their drug prices are significantly less as compared with other national health systems. Manitoba is both MUCH more regulation heavy from the business end with lower returns on capital. However, there is a lower population per script requirement in Manitoba from comparing numbers at one point. I'd say that Canada is still in the early-90s compared to the States in terms of efficiency and throughput. In terms of profit, who knows. The federal CHA and the provincial governments (and especially Quebec) have rather odd arrangements for their markets and services. More or less, you end up dealing with the province when a pharmacy is to be opened, and prices are directly regulated by the provincial authority. There is more or less a provincial P&T committee where no two provinces have complete agreement.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)