hawaii anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OtisRSB

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
is anyone currently in the hawaii residency program who could discuss it's pros and cons. i am really considering it but haven't heard much on this website and would love to know what it is really like to live there. any info would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hawaii sounds pretty good to me right now. In upstate NY, it's currently 12 degrees outside with 25 mph winds. There are 3-4 foot snow drifts outside, and they will probably last through march, if not into April. Fur or no fur, it's freak'n cold. I have no idea about the program, but looking outside, I'd say head for the tropics, and emancipate yourself from the drudgery of "top programs" with crummy weather.

I spent 6 months there with my family doing my 3rd year Peds rotation, and we loved it. However, there are plenty of people who get sick of being stuck in one place. I think a few questions will tell you what would work:

1) what do you do on the weekend? Do you love long road trips? If so, you won't get this.

2) do you like hiking, sun, beach and water sports but don't care too much about world class theater/concerts/etc.? If so, you'll love it.

3) Are you willing to pay for a high cost of living? It's as expensive to live there as Manhattan or Washington, D.C.

4) Would the practicalities of moving everything by plane or boat bother you? What would you do about your car?

5) Will the lack of seasons bother you? Can you stand a month-long rainy season (doesn't happen every year, but it happens)?

6) do you have a spouse? Does their job travel well?

7) Where does your extended family live? Are you willing to pay $600-1000 every Christmas to fly out to see them?

USUHS2008 said:
3) Are you willing to pay for a high cost of living? It's as expensive to live there as Manhattan or Washington, D.C.
I disagree with this. It's expensive short term, but if you're living there a couple of years, cost drops dramatically. You learn the ins-and-outs of where to shop and how (canned goods at one place, produce at another, etc.) and get local connections (priceless for things like cars/apartments, etc.).

Hawaii's very expensive short term. If you're living there a while, it gets a lot cheaper if you enjoy the simple pleasures.
USUHS2008 said:
4) Would the practicalities of moving everything by plane or boat bother you? What would you do about your car?
Not as expensive as folks fear. I moved a two bedroom apartment for about $1,200 to the west coast. A car goes for about $800.
USUHS2008 said:
6) do you have a spouse? Does their job travel well?
Very valid. Unless one's spouse is in travel/hospitality, expect jobs to be hard to come by. For any job, expect the salary to be much lower. I took a 35% pay cut for a comparable job to the mainland. Some folks take a larger cut.

Hawaii's a tough move, but the longer you're going to live there, the easier it gets. Three years is about the minimum I'd move there for, though...