Hawaii EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Muscletoe

Do-gooder
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
I'm considering moving to Hawaii once I finish residency, and was wondering if anyone out there had advice regarding finding a job in the Aloha State. Is it very competitive? How about standard of living for physicians? Also, while on the interview trail I heard a tantalizing rumor about an EM residency starting up out there? Any truth to this?
Thanks for any advice!!!
:)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi!
I'm considering moving to Hawaii once I finish residency, and was wondering if anyone out there had advice regarding finding a job in the Aloha State. Is it very competitive? How about standard of living for physicians? Also, while on the interview trail I heard a tantalizing rumor about an EM residency starting up out there? Any truth to this?
Thanks for any advice!!!
:)

Standard of living is not good, as the cost of living is extremely high and the salary is low.

My group has a contract at a hospital on Oahu, and the hourly rate is $80/hour.

Holy crap, that's what I made as a personal trainer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Veers is wrong on several accounts. Cost of living is higher, but not above what I will make (ie, I shall be making 50% more, but the COL is not 50% higher). His $80/hr is lowball - greatly.

There is only one democratic group on O'ahu. There is another that covers a few hospitals on the north side, and a couple on the big island, but they're a little sketchy. Most other jobs are as hospital employee.

If you go with a contract group, you'll get screwed.

Veers is wrong on several accounts. Cost of living is higher, but not above what I will make (ie, I shall be making 50% more, but the COL is not 50% higher). His $80/hr is lowball - greatly.

There is only one democratic group on O'ahu. There is another that covers a few hospitals on the north side, and a couple on the big island, but they're a little sketchy. Most other jobs are as hospital employee.

If you go with a contract group, you'll get screwed.

The $80 is what they pay for that one hospital, unless they've increased the amount. That was almost a year ago that I looked at it.

A graduating resident I know is working for Kaiser on Oahu for a year. I believe he/she is getting $125/hr, plus an apartment and a car for the year. It sounds incredibly low-stress.

Thanks for all the input! At the risk of sounding naive, what's so bad about Kaiser?

Thanks for all the input! At the risk of sounding naive, what's so bad about Kaiser?

Kaiser is the devil. They are the original HMO, out to do less and less for you, while making you think you're getting more and more. If you're healthy, you're fine. If you're not, Kaiser will kill you, either by neglect or actively.

As a doc, you are constrained to do it "their way", irrespective of your conscience or training.

Can someone in the Kaiser system tell us more about this?

Can someone in the Kaiser system tell us more about this?

I know we've had some good threads on Kaiser but I can't seem to find them. Since this is a pretty important topic I started a new thread on Kaiser (so it's more easily searchable) here.

I figure discussion specific to Hawaii can stay here and general discussion that others could benefit from (such as whether or not Kaiser is the Devil) can go there.

A graduating resident I know is working for Kaiser on Oahu for a year. I believe he/she is getting $125/hr, plus an apartment and a car for the year. It sounds incredibly low-stress.

I know there are some concerns working for Kaiser long-term, but I just have to say this sounds completely amazing and in my MS2 funk gives me something to dream about.. one year contract, low-stress, free housing/transport, surf every day of the year in boardshorts.... heaven.

I know there are some concerns working for Kaiser long-term, but I just have to say this sounds completely amazing and in my MS2 funk gives me something to dream about.. one year contract, low-stress, free housing/transport, surf every day of the year in boardshorts.... heaven.

i hear that. i'm already wearing so much neoprene i look like a baby seal every time i paddle out.

i've heard from two different people that most of the groups out in hawaii want you to have at least five years of post-residency experience before hiring. can anyone who knows something about this comment? it sounds like one of the posters above has a residency colleague going there directly out of residency, so hopefully this isn't true. i'm a pgy-3 in a pgy 1-4 program in nyc and i'm looking at hawaii, california, or florida after residency.