Hazardous drugs in community pharmacy

Started by sunnys
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sunnys

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am learning about USP 800 and wanted to inquire if where you work there are any special procedures that you have for hazardous drugs in a community setting. I am mainly interested in non compounding situations where the drug would be taken from stock bottle and put into prescription bottle. I am curious if you have techs/pharmacists glove up and wipe off the counting tray for drugs such as methotrexate, tacrolimus, etc. Also, how does your pharmacy identify the hazardous drugs for the pharmacy employees - make a list, mark the drugs on the shelf, etc. Thanks.
 
Standard stuff: separate trays for PCNS/Cephs, Sulfonamides ("sulfa"), & Warfarin
We do have a list of hazardous materials posted (mostly just warfarin)
Hydroxyurea (wear gloves when handling)

We don't ever do any manipulation of drugs requiring gloves/caution (MTX, valgancyclovir, finasteride, etc.)