HBCU applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PanicAttack

gomers gonna gome
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I don't want to start a flame war here, but...I'm a white male applying to a couple of HBCUs this year (Howard and Morehouse). I have a low GPA which is part of it, but I legitimately have an interest in working in an underserved, urban area as a doctor. I did Teach for America in a low-income, mostly African-American community. I'm not assuming I'll get interviews at those places, but if I do I'm a little worried about how to go about selling myself at a school that is known for having mostly minority students when I am not one. Any thoughts about how to approach these interviews? (I would appreciate hearing from people who attend HBCUs).

Again, I don't want to start a big racial/URM/blah blah blah thing. I think I have a reasonable question here.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not anywhere near the applying stage.(a few years) However, from what I read from their websites and from what other people that have applied the colleges seem to take more of a risk with URM. Have you thought about any DO schools?

Ok, I don't want to start a flame war here, but...I'm a white male applying to a couple of HBCUs this year (Howard and Morehouse). I have a low GPA which is part of it, but I legitimately have an interest in working in an underserved, urban area as a doctor. I did Teach for America in a low-income, mostly African-American community. I'm not assuming I'll get interviews at those places, but if I do I'm a little worried about how to go about selling myself at a school that is known for having mostly minority students when I am not one. Any thoughts about how to approach these interviews? (I would appreciate hearing from people who attend HBCUs).

Again, I don't want to start a big racial/URM/blah blah blah thing. I think I have a reasonable question here.

Go for it. Your genuine interest and experience will speak more about your commitment. Non-URMs are accepted to HBCUs each year.

Edit: Just read your MDapplicant. You might also add U of Rochester. It's a top school but they tend to be lenient(at least in the past) on applicants with low gpa/high mcat combo.Might be worth a try.

Last edited:
If you're interested in serving the under-served and you have a track record to support that commitment (which it seems you do), then I would strongly encourage you to apply to HBCUs. I don't know much about Morehouse, but I do know that's Howard's mission statement - not to necessarily train URM physicians, but to train physicians interested in addressing the needs of the under-served.

I say go for it and best wishes!!!