Headache while doing preps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I’ve noticed that after doing occasionally after doing preps for an 2-3 hours I get a headache and begin feeling nauseous. Its frequent enough for me to be concerned that it would interfere with me being able to work 8+ hours in a clinical setting. Anyone else experience this?

Members don't see this ad.

I’ve noticed that after doing occasionally after doing preps for an 2-3 hours I get a headache and begin feeling nauseous. Its frequent enough for me to be concerned that it would interfere with me being able to work 8+ hours in a clinical setting. Anyone else experience this?

Step #1, makes sure if you're wearing loupes that they are set correctly for your inter-pupillary distance and any lens prescription (if applicable). For many, this is where the problem will start and end

Step #2, Take some breaks occasionally. In private practice, while we may be occasionally have a patient booked for multiple hours, rarely, are we actually working on them non stop for that amount of time. In the private practice world, even getting up for a few minutes to do say a hygiene check gives your eyes a chance to relax for a bit inbetween long time spans of focus on the teeth your working on

Step #3 Sometimes, if you're not used to constantly focusing on a small area for multiple hours in a row, for example reading a book non stop for hours, it can take some time for your eyes to get used to that level of extended intense focus

Reactions: 1 users
You're not breathing properly. I did the same thing in dental school. Don't hold your breath!

Members don't see this ad :)
I used to get headaches, but I started to bring a water bottle with me to drink more water. And that helped a ton. Might be worth a shot!

Reactions: 1 user