Technology Headphones Advice

Started by meliora27
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

meliora27

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm looking to get a pair of noise reducing headphones. I think it would be nice to have while studying in the library to create some white noise since I'm pretty sensitive to background noise while studying. I'm planning on spending ~$100 on new headphones. Can anyone make some reccomendations? Thanks!
 
I'm a total audiophile. Unless you play music, have highly discriminating ears, or you want to use them for other purposes like monitoring as well, then you'll like any of the popular ~ 50$ sony / philips noise cancelling headphones. I use a set of sony mdr-nc6 for this. Don't forget to stock up on AAA bateries too,

stay away from bose. They should be better for that amount of money. I looked at a pair of them in the store and they look like if you drop them 3 or 4 times or your bag falls on them, you can kiss them goodbye
 
I'm a total audiophile. Unless you play music, have highly discriminating ears, or you want to use them for other purposes like monitoring as well, then you'll like any of the popular ~ 50$ sony / philips noise cancelling headphones. I use a set of sony mdr-nc6 for this. Don't forget to stock up on AAA bateries too,

stay away from bose. They should be better for that amount of money. I looked at a pair of them in the store and they look like if you drop them 3 or 4 times or your bag falls on them, you can kiss them goodbye

audiophiles will tell you that bose is the joke of the industry - all of their cash goes into marketing instead of r&d
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If noise reduction is your primary goal, you will get better results from in-ear monitors (Shure E2c should be in your budget) than over-ear headphones with noise cancelling.

If you're not going to play music or other sounds, no noise-cancelling phones are going to beat a good pair of earplugs.
 
I've had much better luck with $3 ear plugs then any of the noise canceling earphones I've tried. So unless your goal is to listen to something, go to Home Depot and get the ear plugs. The ones I have are a disk form that I can use to cover the ear rather then stick them in, which is nice for me.

For what it's worth, the Shure E2c are discontinued, it looks like the SE110 are the comparable model now, although the i2c look interesting they seem to cancel less noise out.
 
kind of o/t for your question, but still on the topic of headphones

I've been really happy with these wireless headphones... they work on USB though, not 3.5mm headphone jacks... really good for my rhapsody subscription/watching dvd's on my computer

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Vupoint-2.4GHz-Wireless-Stereo-Headphones/2298735/product.html

sound quality is good but there is a background hiss (very quiet) when nothing is being played.

Combine with NiMH batteries and you are good to go...
 
kind of o/t for your question, but still on the topic of headphones

I've been really happy with these wireless headphones... they work on USB though, not 3.5mm headphone jacks... really good for my rhapsody subscription/watching dvd's on my computer

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Vupoint-2.4GHz-Wireless-Stereo-Headphones/2298735/product.html

sound quality is good but there is a background hiss (very quiet) when nothing is being played.

Combine with NiMH batteries and you are good to go...

Not useable with a mac and it will interfere with 2.4 GHz wireless internet signal. Probably not the best option for a lot of people especially if you are on a laptop considering the interference. It's like using my bluetooth headset for my phone when I'm in my house. It's hard for people to hear me since it's heavily interfered with the larger wireless router signal.
 
I second (3rd?) the nomination of the Shure SE110. I currently have the SE210's (only got them because the 110 was not yet available) and they do a great job of blocking out the ridiculous construction noise outside while I listen to lecture mp3's.

However if you are getting these just to reduce noise without listening to audio then regular ear plugs will be a much better option for you.