Heads up for applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Poety

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been informed by a program that between applicants, with all things being equal, whether or not you have completed and passed the step 2 cs will be an advantage on rank day.

Hope this helps some of you to decide whether or not to take the test sooner. Good luck getting spots, I've been trying for like weeks and not one has popped up I'm able to make :( Hopefully I'll have a little bit of something extra at SOME program that will help me rank somewhere :oops:

EDIT: please call your respective programs and see if they require this exam being taken or taken and passed or not taken at all for ranking!

I'm also interested in knowing how many US Grads have already taken this test - could you post if you have or not here please. I want to see how behind the barrel I am or if I'm not the only one.

Members don't see this ad.

I took step 2 CS and CK at the end of october. Scores for ck are back, but not for CS. I haven't had a single PD mention either to me. :)

Took both tests in May, passed both :thumbup: scores came back around first of July.

Members don't see this ad :)
Took CK today (god that was LONG. I almost didn't want to be a doctor anymore near the end of it. Especially after I got busted for having chapstick in the testing area. :p )

And I'm taking the waste-of-time-and-money CS in early Feb. :rolleyes:

I'll be joining you in Feb for CS :)

Hello!

I just took that huge waste of money, time, & travel this week. I've heard from our Deans that you need both Step II scores to be ranked, but sometimes I think they just try to scare us. Anyway, best of luck! I'm sure you're wonderful enough that they won't even think twice if you don't have them.

Unquiet Mind said:
I just took that huge waste of money, time, & travel this week.

Not necessarily a waste of travel. I plan to spend the 2 days after my exam with my road-trip buddies mourning the loss of my $975 in various dive blues bars across chicago... :D

Regarding the importance of cs scores, our PD said pretty much what Poety said.

Hurricane said:
Not necessarily a waste of travel. I plan to spend the 2 days after my exam with my road-trip buddies mourning the loss of my $975 in various dive blues bars across chicago... :D

Regarding the importance of cs scores, our PD said pretty much what Poety said.

I love "dive blues bars"! That's one thing that I'm going to miss about Memphis and Beale Street!

Unquiet Mind said:
Hello!

I just took that huge waste of money, time, & travel this week. I've heard from our Deans that you need both Step II scores to be ranked, but sometimes I think they just try to scare us. Anyway, best of luck! I'm sure you're wonderful enough that they won't even think twice if you don't have them.

Hi Unquiet, I actually disagree with this since no program has said it is necessary to be ranked, they have only said (and this is only ONE program) that it would be an advantage.

The CS IS required for all IMG's PRIOR to rank - but they are well aware of this in advance. If I don't match, and I find out its because I didn't take the CS by rank order day- there WILL be a refund of 5000. + I've spent on interviews because this should have been ILLUSTRATED BY THE NRMP AS A REQUIREMENT FOR RANKING.

Programs that do require it have said they tell their applicants in the interview invite email that its required and I've only seen this in EM (as an actual requirement for ranking), also the PD that told everyone about this, also said because this is so new, he will be lax on this requiremtn this year because people can't get it done in time.

DOn't panic everyone, the CS is too new for it to be a requirement, there are too many bugs to work out with the scheduling. I'm sure eveyrone is going to match :) And if we don't theres always the scramble right?

mosche said:
I love "dive blues bars"! That's one thing that I'm going to miss about Memphis and Beale Street!

I like Beale St. too! Good music and FOOD. The fried dill pickles at BB King's are to die for. Yum. My brother is in law school in Memphis, and he always takes me to some BBQ place with toothpicks stuck in the ceiling...

Hurricane said:
I like Beale St. too! Good music and FOOD. The fried dill pickles at BB King's are to die for. Yum. My brother is in law school in Memphis, and he always takes me to some BBQ place with toothpicks stuck in the ceiling...

I love BB King's! I've never been there when he was actually performing, though. The last time that we went, they had a cover band that did a lot of Janis Joplin -- they were AMAZING, if you like Janis Joplin that is. I love Joplin!!!!!!! :love: :love:

As for the CS and CK, our program will rank you; however, they have to be passed prior to beginning residency. I also got the same impression from Wash. U. -- though I was told that they PREFER that they be passed prior to the match. One interviewer even suggested that we call as soon as we got our results (there were 5 interviewees at the table). As far as I could tell, I was the only one who had actually done both, so it is definately NOT required for interviews there; moreover, it did not seem to be a requirement for the match.

mosche said:
I love BB King's! I've never been there when he was actually performing, though. The last time that we went, they had a cover band that did a lot of Janis Joplin -- they were AMAZING, if you like Janis Joplin that is. I love Joplin!!!!!!! :love: :love:

As for the CS and CK, our program will rank you; however, they have to be passed prior to beginning residency. I also got the same impression from Wash. U. -- though I was told that they PREFER that they be passed prior to the match. One interviewer even suggested that we call as soon as we got our results (there were 5 interviewees at the table). As far as I could tell, I was the only one who had actually done both, so it is definately NOT required for interviews there; moreover, it did not seem to be a requirement for the match.

I'm a Nina Simone kinda gal. I just thought I'd throw that in there ;)

Hurricane, howz the interviews comin hon?

Poety said:

I've heard some Nina Simone, but I don't know too much about her work. I think that I'll listen to some of her stuff on Launch music -- I'm bored, so exploring new music sounds kinda fun!

You know what's really weird? I've spent the past 20(+) years studying, volunteering, working, etc.... Now that it's fourth year, I feel like such a slacker because I actually have an abundance of free time. I realize that PGY-1 will suck, but I think that I will actually welcome the work. When I'm not busy I feel like such a slacker.

Anyone else relate?

mosche said:
I've heard some Nina Simone, but I don't know too much about her work. I think that I'll listen to some of her stuff on Launch music -- I'm bored, so exploring new music sounds kinda fun!

You know what's really weird? I've spent the past 20(+) years studying, volunteering, working, etc.... Now that it's fourth year, I feel like such a slacker because I actually have an abundance of free time. I realize that PGY-1 will suck, but I think that I will actually welcome the work. When I'm not busy I feel like such a slacker.

Anyone else relate?

I AM LOVING THE SLACK MODE MOSCHE!!!! Oh yeah, these are the days of our lives that we must enjoy as they are sweet yet fleeting by all rights.

Nina.... Mr. BoJangles, Mr. Bojangles---- dancccccee <I can hear it in my head oh yes!>

Mosche, I'm off to USF then U of F - I'm going to have much news for you after that - where is your next and when?

Poety said:
I AM LOVING THE SLACK MODE MOSCHE!!!! Oh yeah, these are the days of our lives that we must enjoy as they are sweet yet fleeting by all rights.

Nina.... Mr. BoJangles, Mr. Bojangles---- dancccccee <I can hear it in my head oh yes!>

Mosche, I'm off to USF then U of F - I'm going to have much news for you after that - where is your next and when?

I thought that Mr. Bojangles was sung by a man -- Poety, we seem to have a theme running here!

Getting ready for Duke. I'm hoping to see a bball game while I'm in NC -- I really want to see UNC. Coach Williams was our coach when I was at KU (that's where I started this whole college thing).

mosche said:
I thought that Mr. Bojangles was sung by a man -- Poety, we seem to have a theme running here!

Getting ready for Duke. I'm hoping to see a bball game while I'm in NC -- I really want to see UNC. Coach Williams was our coach when I was at KU (that's where I started this whole college thing).

Hey Mosche, Mr. Bojangles was originally done by Nina Simone, it was then redone by the illustrious Simon and Garfunkel - but no one can do Mr. Bojangles like Nina ;)

Yeah for Duke - I still see you at Wash U though :)

Poety said:

Ooh, I love Nina. We were going to have "I want a little sugar in my bowl" played at our wedding during the cake cutting, but decided the lyrics were a wee bit too risque. ;)

As for the interviews, I was taking it easy this month while I studied for step 2, and only interviewed at my home institution. Now that step 2 is out of the way, I can get down to business! Sunday I leave for Emory and Vanderbilt, followed by a short trip to UCSF, then UNC and Duke. Then a bunch more in January...

Hurricane said:
Ooh, I love Nina. We were going to have "I want a little sugar in my bowl" played at our wedding during the cake cutting, but decided the lyrics were a wee bit too risque. ;)

As for the interviews, I was taking it easy this month while I studied for step 2, and only interviewed at my home institution. Now that step 2 is out of the way, I can get down to business! Sunday I leave for Emory and Vanderbilt, followed by a short trip to UCSF, then UNC and Duke. Then a bunch more in January...

Thats great Hurricane, I wish you all the luck! Is there any geographical preference you have? (Im asking because your from UNC on east coast all the way to Cali!)

^5 sistah on the Nina btw :p

Poety said:
Thats great Hurricane, I wish you all the luck! Is there any geographical preference you have? (Im asking because your from UNC on east coast all the way to Cali!)

It may seem random, but there is a common theme: cities where it doesn't snow (much) :D Really, there is a method to my madness. I'm from the south and my boy is from the west coast, so those are the two areas we're looking.