Health Care Reform

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dental Jarry

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just curious how everyone feels about health care reform and the impact it will have on podiatry. I am admittedly somewhat ignorant on the details so I want to get some opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

This is another good thread to start to try and gather details about the reform. I am going to admit that I am sort of confused, as well, about all the changes that are going to take place and when they will kick in.

I guess one thing I can comment on is that supposedly, with this reform, the government is going to take money out of medicare and use it to insure the uninsured. If this is the case I am guessing that might mean lower reimbursements when Pods treat their patients (since a lot of them use medicare). This will most likely negatively affect Pods annual salaries.

From another point of view it might not though. Even though reimbursements from medicare might take a hit there is going to be an influx of millions of new patients who are insured now. Pods could make up their financial losses from gaining more patients from this new population of newly insured people.

Overall, all physicians will take a hit financially from this reform (except plastic surgeons because thats elective surgery).

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess what I am afraid of, is a lack of funding for hospitals. I know many aren't doing so hot financially right now and this sure won't help. Will the hospitals over time loose the funds needed to operate and maintain expensive machinery/labs? If so, this will slowly take out the smaller hospitals and their abilities to treat, forcing more people into the larger hospitals, creating an even longer wait.

I guess the bottom line is, no one understands exactly what is going to happen, I mean the congressmen didn't even really know (or care in some cases) what the bill said.

I am definitely for everyone having affordable access to health care, no doubt. But is this the right way to go about it? It seemed REALLY rushed to me.

Thoughts?

If money is being taken away from medicare to insure million more through medicaid... guess what... were are screwed. Podiatrist are currently not recognized by medicaid as physicians in many states including NY. Patients with medicaid in these states must go to government approved clinics for foot-care that will take medicaid. NYCPM's and Temple's clinics are examples of such clinics. These clinics are going to have to find a way to accomodate new patients (oh no, the suffering). Ladies and gentlemen, the bullet has been shot and podiatry is dead. Any proposition to increase medicaid budgets will be shut down immediately by the house because if you multiply the increase in budget to include us as medicaid-accepting-physicians by the many million more people insured under new health reform you are likely to break the bank. Basically, quality health care will become impossible because bill are more likely to be thrown away. If I can only take back my vote. McCain was right, this guy has no clue what he is doing.

Any proposition to increase medicaid budgets will be shut down immediately by the house because if you multiply the increase in budget to include us as medicaid-accepting-physicians by the many million more people insured under new health reform you are likely to break the bank. Basically, quality health care will become impossible because bill are more likely to be thrown away. If I can only take back my vote. McCain was right, this guy has no clue what he is doing.

I am an Obama fan, however I do agree with you that including pods in title XIX
was not going to happen right now b/cause the democrats want to show that the bill is small and will "reduce cost" but still add on 30 million people.

As long as Pods are willing to accept Medicaid Pts, the government will not pay us what we deserve
I now understand why some Pods don't see Medicaid Pts.

As for the no clue part, you are wrong, the democrats know what they are doing. They have found a way to give access to millions who would otherwise have no healthcare.

hyperpodia said:
As for the no clue part, you are wrong, the democrats know what they are doing. They have found a way to give access to millions who would otherwise have no healthcare.

LOL...give me over 1 trillion dollars and I think I could find a way to give healthcare to only 30 million people

I am an Obama fan, however I do agree with you that including pods in title XIX
was not going to happen right now b/cause the democrats want to show that the bill is small and will "reduce cost" but still add on 30 million people.

As long as Pods are willing to accept Medicaid Pts, the government will not pay us what we deserve
I now understand why some Pods don't see Medicaid Pts.

I don't understand how you fail to see how any bill will ever pass in the house related to medicaid after this disastrous health care bill. I don't understand how you still believe this man knows what he is talking about when millions more will be insured but no doctor will be willing to provide care to them because the payments are so low and the dealing with the system is so hectic and time consuming it will cost doctors more money in staff to fight for their worth than what medicaid is willing to pay. In the end, patients with "insurance" will flood clinics and receive crappier care because...guess what... "your insurance does not cover this procedure," and it never will because you can't get it to pass in congress because it will break the bank, because some idiot thought he was doing the right thing. I have no insurance and I don't want insurance like this. Mr President is too naive and still dreams with rainbows and kumbayas.

Last edited:
Guys, please remember that this debate isn't dead. The actual bill (well, I guess it is now a law) won't take full effect until 2014. By then, you could be looking at a different president and a different Congress. Laws can be repealed and it may be that it will be found unconstitutional. Over a dozen state attorney generals are preparing to oppose this. Also, despite being a great political victory for the president, there are many constituents and law makers among all places on the political spectrum who are still vehemently opposed to this and, as a result of that, coupled with increased dissatisfaction over the handling of the economy, it might make Mr. Obama a one term president. Add that to the number of Democratic congressmen retiring or not seeking reelection and you're looking at a possible shakeup of the of the legislative and executive branches in 2012.

There are some notable pieces of legislation in the bill (i.e. the regulation of the denial of those members of the populace with pre-existing conditions), but it probably won't be enough to overcome the fact that many Americans will fixate on what they perceive as having legislation forced down their throats. Let's face it this thing is not a done deal. If the president doesn't have the political momentum to carry over into other issues the country is facing, then this law may not be enough to save his presidency much like the capture of Saddam Hussein wasn't enough to stifle American discontent with the Iraq War thus leading to a changing of the guard in 2008.

Basically, I just want to put it out there that it is very difficult to foresee the future and how this will all affect us. I personally am not allowing this legislation to change my mind about going into podiatry. There could be dramatic changes ahead of us that no one could predict. Who knows maybe the Mayans are right and the world really will end in 2012...:laugh:

Overall, all physicians will take a hit financially from this reform (except plastic surgeons because thats elective surgery).

Ah, ah.. keep in mind the new tax on elective plastic surgery. What is it, like 10-15%? Kind of an indirect slam if you ask me.

Did anyone hear that Student loans can no longer be deferred while in residency. I think the bill is 20/200 or something like that. That would suck!

Did anyone hear that Student loans can no longer be deferred while in residency. I think the bill is 20/200 or something like that. That would suck!

It has been that way since 2007 I believe, they were fighting to get that put back into the bill. From what i understand you can still file for economic forbearance of your loans during residency, but you have to do it on a yearly basis and nothing is guaranteed.

It has been that way since 2007 I believe, they were fighting to get that put back into the bill. From what i understand you can still file for economic forbearance of your loans during residency, but you have to do it on a yearly basis and nothing is guaranteed.

20/220 allowed residents to defer, not forbear their loans. Deferment is a better process, as interest doesn't accrue on subsidized loans, while it still will if the principle is in forbearance

Let me see if I've got this right. Things will either stay the same, or get worse for pods. Definitely not better. And no one knows what the hell just happened with health care in America. Sounds good.

I really don't know how the govt thinks they can push stuff on everyone like buying health insurance. Obama really is turning into the second coming of Bush. Both of them are all about control and agendas. They couldn't care less about what America thinks about the issues that they are pushing. Let's hope that congress turns things around after November. I'd be shocked to see a second term out of Obama.

Looks like the 22% cut on medicare will mostlikely be a reality. I think everyone will have to take a big hit...except pharmacy. I bet they will boom like crazy.