Health During Pharmacy School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

animalsasleaders

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm going into my 3rd year, and I've developed some really obnoxious IBS-D. Overall, I thought I handled the stresses of pharmacy school pretty well (time management, grades, etc.), but I just have overwhelming feelings of anxiety when sitting in class/going on rotations/even going to work while my insides are destroying themselves.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Loperamide has helped, but bloats me to hell. I either have like 6 BMs a day unmedicated, or go a week without a BM with it. After many GI doctor visits and a colonoscopy, I haven't solved anything. Other than the universal "probiotics" answer, has anyone found success with other techniques? Thanks in advance.
 
Look at your diet for triggers, try other medications (TCAs, Viberzi), consider that anxiety may actually be triggering your symptoms (and try treating your anxiety instead, TCAs may be a good dual action there). Try one thing at a time. If you recently started smoking to relieve stress, that could also be triggering for you. Remember, most medications will not work immediately.

Good luck resolving it. I know of a few people who genuinely have this problem. It has taken over their lives coping with it. At least you are willing to get help for it.
 
Look at your diet for triggers, try other medications (TCAs, Viberzi), consider that anxiety may actually be triggering your symptoms (and try treating your anxiety instead, TCAs may be a good dual action there). Try one thing at a time. If you recently started smoking to relieve stress, that could also be triggering for you. Remember, most medications will not work immediately.

Good luck resolving it. I know of a few people who genuinely have this problem. It has taken over their lives coping with it. At least you are willing to get help for it.
Thanks for your advice! I'm going to try a script I have for Viberzi, and put aside my apprehension due to its pancreatitis/abdominal pain ADE. Honestly, I think much of the diarrhea is due to pharmacy school internal anxiety, but it happens every day, school or not. So it's a chronic problem that I would love to solve asap, since I have a rotation in a couple weeks, then school right after.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Mods usually close down threads asking for medical advice. But before they do, be aware that healthy living generally declines after you graduate and start working (especially if you go the retail route). Do your best now to establish a healthy diet/exercise/rest routine that minimizes stress as much as you can because it doesn’t get any easier to do so later on. Other than that, yeah get professional medical advice.
 
I'm going into my 3rd year, and I've developed some really obnoxious IBS-D. Overall, I thought I handled the stresses of pharmacy school pretty well (time management, grades, etc.), but I just have overwhelming feelings of anxiety when sitting in class/going on rotations/even going to work while my insides are destroying themselves.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Loperamide has helped, but bloats me to hell. I either have like 6 BMs a day unmedicated, or go a week without a BM with it. After many GI doctor visits and a colonoscopy, I haven't solved anything. Other than the universal "probiotics" answer, has anyone found success with other techniques? Thanks in advance.
During one internship, I was helping compound a lorazepam PLO gel.

The tech that had done the work after me had screwed something up, so when I went to transfer from the 60mL to smaller syringes.
Being a doofus, I applied enough force to make It explode everywhere.

I got lorazepam gel all over my face, on my arms. I ran over to tell my preceptor, and they just had me sit down for a few hours.
I realized it was the first time I felt calm and relaxed since P1.
That was when I realized how strong and constant my anxiety was.

I told my PCP what happened, and he asked me what I'd like to do.
I tried xanax 0.25mg, and it helped.
Most importantly, it gave me the ability to recognize which thought patterns, perceptions, and actions contributed to my anxiety.

Make an appointment and talk to someone
 
A few of my friends have had trouble with IBS-D. I agree that you should seek treatment for both anxiety AND your GI sx; something like Librax might be a good short-term solution if you need something before rotations. I also heard a low FODMAP diet helps but the learning curve seems pretty high.
 
Anxiety does not have an off switch. At home, you are studying for school, dealing with planning life around school, and possibly dreading going to school (replace school with the word work and you have plenty of pharmacists out there). It takes several days, even months sometimes, to get out of the ball of anxiety you have wrapped yourself in. Believe me, it will still affect you at home. Really consider getting your anxiety under control. The long term negative health effects of uncontrolled anxiety can be pretty bad.
 
Seriously, talk to your doctor and figure out coping mechanisms. Anxiety and stress can ruin your health. I ended up pretty sick after my first year of school and I’m pretty sure the stress of school and my living situation was a large part of the problem. Unfortunately some of the illnesses you can get from stress are irreversible so handle this now, rather than waiting for this to become a bigger problem.
 
Try to exercise especially if you are dealing with anxiety. Anxiety is normal. It happens to the best of us but you can't let it rule your life. Pharmacy school is very tough but work hard and take care of your health.
 
You can try stimulus control with where and how you expose yourself to the stress from school. Don't study in your bed because you may bring anxiety and stress into the place where you need peace and calm.

Consider a new hobby or a meditation time where you do not allow yourself to think about school /anything related. It can be surprisingly difficult to understand and analyze your own health / issues. Good luck.