Health insurance for non working folks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stillpremed

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Friends,

For those of you who quit work, or retired before 60, what health insurance did you sign up for?

I’m wondering how much health insurance would cost for a family of three, out of pocket every month. I would surmise 4K/month at least.

Thank you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Obamacare.

Even the top plan costs "only" $2,000/month here in CA for our family of three. $4k would be pretty astronomical. I didn't pay that even when I used COBRA for a top-notch university health insurance plan with $0 deductible and out of pocket max of about $500.

Cheaper plans are closer to $1,000.

And that is all without a subsidy that many qualify for.

Just log into your state's marketplace (coveredca here in CA) and you can see what it'll cost you.

Reactions: 1 users
Obamacare.

Even the top plan costs "only" $2,000/month here in CA for our family of three. $4k would be pretty astronomical. I didn't pay that even when I used COBRA for a top-notch university health insurance plan with $0 deductible and out of pocket max of about $500.

Cheaper plans are closer to $1,000.

And that is all without a subsidy that many qualify for.

Just log into your state's marketplace (coveredca here in CA) and you can see what it'll cost you.
Appreciate it RangerBob!