Health Professions Scholarship Program for Optometrists

Started by hhannah
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

hhannah

ICO c/o 2014
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering if any of you had gone the route of having a military branch pay for your optometric schooling. The idea of being in so much debt is a frightening thought, and I'm looking at ways to minimize or even eliminate it this way.
If any of you have done it, do you recommend? What was your experience?
Thanks for your advice!
 
I was looking for some information a little while ago and someone's response to me was this:

Things may have changed since I did it but:
Once accepted, you are technically considered an 2Lt (O-1) in th Reserves. You are not required to do any weekend training/active duty time while in school. Just going to school is your only duty.

You must attend an Officer Basic Training course prior to being assigned a post/base. Most do this immediately after graduation and go on to practice on Active Duty as a CPT (O-3) for 3-4 years. After completing your required AD, you can re-enlist or leave. If you leave, you'll be considered Ready Reserves for 4-5 years (no mandatory training, just "on-call')

"What I did:
I did my Officer Basic Training during the summer between 3rd & 4th year (my school excused me from clinicals since it was military duty). This allowed me to start practicing immediately after graduation (1 took 3 weeks off before starting), I was also promoted to CPT right away, so technically I outranked my classmates who still had to take Basic.
I recieved Active Duty pay all during Basic.

I also did a rotation during my 4th year at a military hospital for which I requested a voluntary Active Duty TDY (temporary duty). These can be done at any base (HI, Europe, etc) I recieved Active Duty pay and my housing/food were paid for.

I wound up getting paid a salary during 1/2 of my 4th year while my classmates were paying to the same thing."

He goes on to say that in a different post that with the money he saved after serving he was able to purchase a house/an established practice somewhere.

Again, this is not my experience. Like you, I am very interested in this scholarship, not only for the money, but I would love to be able to have the experience of serving in one of the military branches.
If I hear anything new from someone, I will be sure to relay it to you. I am kind of taking my time gathering information about it, because I don't plan on applying until early next school year.
 
The military scholarship is optometry's best kept secret. I'm coming out of school pretty much with no debt from optometry school, and the Army has paid for just about everything including books, equipment, board exam fees, and about $1900/mo as a monthly stipend. I made a page on my website (www.optstudent.com) regarding the Army HPSP:

http://www.optstudent.com/hpsp.html

Also check out my Army internship experience in Hawaii:

http://www.optstudent.com/nucleus/index.php?catid=7&blogid=1
(click on "archives" for the rest)

One thing though, if you're doing it only for the money, then don't do it because there are a lot of sacrifices to make when serving. Do it because you love your country and you're willing to let the Army tell you what to do and where to live. PM me if you have questions.