Healthcare Experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted838101

I work as a Trauma Registrar and spend my time reviewing charts of trauma patients and working on performance improvement projects at the hospital. Occasionally I observe in the Emergency Department and also work closely with a number of the physicians in our program although not a lot of direct patient contact. Is this considered healthcare experience?

Members don't see this ad.

I work as a Trauma Registrar and spend my time reviewing charts of trauma patients and working on performance improvement projects at the hospital. Occasionally I observe in the Emergency Department and also work closely with a number of the physicians in our program although not a lot of direct patient contact. Is this considered healthcare experience?
Observing physicians interacting with patients is shadowing, a passive clinical experience. You also need active clinical experience, where you are interacting with current patients, and it seems like that would not be part of your role. Just because an experience takes place in a clinical environment doesn't mean it will provide you with the type of healthcare experience that adcomms expect you to acquire.

Observing physicians interacting with patients is shadowing, a passive clinical experience. You also need active clinical experience, where you are interacting with current patients, and it seems like that would not be part of your role. Just because an experience takes place in a clinical environment doesn't mean it will provide you with the type of healthcare experience that adcomms expect you to acquire.
This. Your experience sounds like a good and helpful one. Now you need to back it up with something more active with a little responsibility added to it. You don't need to be running major clinical trials or a PA, but something that shows that you were given responsibility and you took it serious and did well.

David D MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Members don't see this ad :)
This. Your experience sounds like a good and helpful one. Now you need to back it up with something more active with a little responsibility added to it. You don't need to be running major clinical trials or a PA, but something that shows that you were given responsibility and you took it serious and did well.

David D MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Something that involves direct patient care? I don't suppose performance improvement projects in my current capacity would be sufficient.

Something that involves direct patient care? I don't suppose performance improvement projects in my current capacity would be sufficient.

Depends. If you get to work with patients, even occasionally, then I would count it. If you are simply crunching numbers in an office that is a little too far removed to count as actual clinical experience. Great overall work though!

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors