Healthcare Finance Texts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

southerndoc

life is good
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations for great texts about healthcare financing; hospital operations; how hospitals are reimbursed (DRG's, DSH's, etc.) by federal, state, and private insurances, etc.?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey SD, take a look at Understanding Healthcare Financial Management by Louis C. Capenski, 4th ed. I used it during business school. It was a great text because it read easy illustrating calculations and using actual balance sheets, income statements, and case studies from for profit and not-for-profit organizations. It does address recent reimbursement changes. It is a text that I would hate to misplace. For any doc that has aspirations of running his/her own practice or would like to head a department it's a great buy!

DC

Thanks for the recommendation drcrusher (a Star Trek: TNG fan?). I'll take a look at it.

I've been more and more interested in healthcare management lately. Particularly, hospital administration (more along the lines of CEO). I think after a few years of practice I'll try to migrate into management, probably ED director first and then try to work my way up the ladder.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently going thru ERAS hoping to land a spot in ER, with the same aspirations as you!