Heat Capacity...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDwannabe7

Future Doctor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Calculate the amount of heat needed to bring 10 g of ice from -15degC to 110degC. (Heat of fusion = 80 cal/g; heat of vaporization = 540 cal/g. The heat capacities of both ice and steam vary with temperature; for this problem, use the estimate of 0.5 cal/gK for both.)

I realized that this problem needed to be broken up into the amount of heat to get ice at -15 to ice at 0; the amount of heat to get from ice at 0 to water at 0; the amount of heat to get water at 0 to water at 100; the amount of heat to get water at 100 to steam at 100; and the amount of heat to get steam at 100 to steam at 110. I did all of the calculations with M=10 g, c=0.5; 80; 0.5; 540; 0.5 respectively, and t= 15, 100, and 10 for the three equations where it comes into play.

I obtained 6825 cal for the answer, but when I looked at the solutions, found that I was 500 cals off due to the fact that c for water at 0 to water at 100 should be 1 cal/gK instead of 0.5 cal/gK. Can anyone explain to me why this is the case, please?

Members don't see this ad.

The calorie is defined as the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one g of water one degree celcius. Its fundamental to know that liquid water has a heat capacity of 1 calorie/g*K

Well, I feel stupid... :rolleyes: Thanks for the help - I'll be sure to remember that one now! :p

yup - the very definition of a calorie is based around this fact, fyi.