Heavy Courseload? [Resolved]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted1040417

I'm thinking of taking on
  • Biochemistry
  • Microbiology w/ lab
  • Philosophy
  • Spanish
  • Biomedical Ethics

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
That sounds like an absolute nightmare of a schedule. I'd say drop at least 1 course. Focus on ECs and if you can't get anything and have too much free time, find something else to focus on. Get a new hobby, put extra effort in your Spanish (courses are not sufficient to get good -- use HelloTalk to find a language exchange partner or something), exercise more, find some new podcasts, etc. Just don't overload yourself with classes and risk your GPA.

Reactions: 2 users
There is no reason to take on 21 credits especially when strategy matters the most in regards to your GPA during your pre-medical years. If you can handle it and do very well, then great but why risk it? I’d say just take two science courses, prioritizing Biochem and Microbiology. It’s up to you in regards to the other ones. This will also allow you more time to focus on ECs if you’re trying to beef up that part of your application.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with everyone else. Don't take this many courses unless you need the GPA bump.
Immuno is pretty hard (imo). When I took it, there were tons of different cytokines, receptors, etc. that I needed to memorize. YMMW depending on your school but there's a reason immuno is sometimes referred to as "alphabet soup."

12-14 credits per semester is about the average for premeds and other college students. Med schools won't be as impressed by a heavy courseload as they will by a 4.0 GPA (achieved with a more manageable courseload). So decide accordingly.

Agree with everyone else. Don't take this many courses unless you need the GPA bump.
Immuno is pretty hard (imo). When I took it, there were tons of different cytokines, receptors, etc. that I needed to memorize. YMMW depending on your school but there's a reason immuno is sometimes referred to as "alphabet soup."

At my school, Immuno is regarded as easier. Probably because the professor teaches non-science majors that need to complete a life science course, so they are able to dumb it down and they curved the grading scale. However, I hear you all. I agree with PapaGuava that I can spend extra time elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.