Hebrew learning resources

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocDrex1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm thinking of applying to Israeli medical schools. Just curious though, what are the best resources to use to learn some basic Hebrew? I've heard that Pimsleur is good for conversational Hebrew. However, what about grammar, vocabulary, and the writing?

What dictionary do most students use? A transliterated one? Thanks for the help.

Drex

Members don't see this ad.

Rosetta Stone is a great way to learn. It is expensive, but you can find discounted copies on craigslist for about $30 and it is well worth it. Otherwise I'd recommend doing an ulpan before classes start in Israel. There is a great one month intensive language program in Haifa I would consider. Otherwise, if you have a good basis in Hebrew you may just be able to take the ulpan that is offered at Sackler or Ben Gurion as you go along. The hebrew workbook we used in class was this one http://www.amazon.com/Hebrew-Scratc...d_bbs_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1230569462&sr=8-7

Exodus 4:25 But Zipporah took a flint knife, cut off her son's foreskin and touched {Moses'} feet with it. [a] "Surely you are a bridegroom of blood to me," she said. 26 So the LORD let him alone. (At that time she said "bridegroom of blood," referring to circumcision.)

Genesis $ 10 The LORD said, "What have you done? Listen! Your brother's blood cries out to me from the ground. 11 Now you are under a curse and driven from the ground, which opened its mouth to receive your brother's blood from your hand. 12 When you work the ground, it will no longer yield its crops for you. You will be a restless wanderer on the earth."