Step I Height of a QRS complex

Started by Tonino
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Tonino

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
question about cardiophys. I was reading a review about how ECGs can't be used to assess how strong the heart is working. But from what I learned, the height of a QRS complex (as in how high the R goes) tells you strength of ventricular muscle contraction. What is correct? I seem to be getting two different schools of thought on this.
 
You can measure hypertrophy with the QRS amplitude but just because the muscle is hypertrophied, doesn't mean it's working hard. It's an electricity signal, not a mechanical one. You can be in PEA but still have QRS complexes.
 
question about cardiophys. I was reading a review about how ECGs can't be used to assess how strong the heart is working. But from what I learned, the height of a QRS complex (as in how high the R goes) tells you strength of ventricular muscle contraction. What is correct? I seem to be getting two different schools of thought on this.
What exactly do you mean by strong? Ejection fraction? Contractility? Stroke volume? Heart rate/rhythm? Absence of structural abnormalitie?

EKGs cannot give you any measure of the first three and are not a reliable indication of the fifth. Large amplitude QRS is classically associated with pathologic hypertrophy and gives you an idea of the electrophysiological vector.