Helllooooo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilikekiwis

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Never thought I'd actually post one of these...but here goes..

I'm a senior right now, California resident.
cGPA: 3.44
BCPM GPA: ~3.1/3.2
MCAT: 37

I started research this at the beginning of this year and doubt I'll have any publications.
Have hospital volunteer hours as well as separate shadowing hours.

That's about it. Time is coming up as to whether I should apply this year or do an SMP (which I'd strongly like to avoid, but suppose I would do if I must). Any help is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Never thought I'd actually post one of these...but here goes..

I'm a senior right now, California resident.
cGPA: 3.44
BCPM GPA: ~3.1/3.2
MCAT: 37

I started research this at the beginning of this year and doubt I'll have any publications.
Have hospital volunteer hours as well as separate shadowing hours.

That's about it. Time is coming up as to whether I should apply this year or do an SMP (which I'd strongly like to avoid, but suppose I would do if I must). Any help is appreciated!

Obviously your GPA (especially the BCPM) is holding you back...but you know that. I think you could absolutely get into an MD program, but I think you would have a hard time getting into a "Top" program. If you did the SMP you would probably have a pretty good shot (due to the MCAT score.

You also need more EC's other than being a hospital volunteer. Try something like working with disabled children, building low income houses, running a marathon, being a tutor to elementary school kids... Something that makes it look like you are interested in giving back to the community.

SWEET MCAT though!!!
good luck

Instead of an SMP, consider an extra year of undergrad classes in upper-level science classes to raise your BCPM GPA. If your science grades have been great over these last 1.5 years and the low GPA represents difficulties in the freshman year, you'd probably be fine as you are if you apply broadly and have a good explanation.

Do you have any leadership experience?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you expect any improvement in your GPA after the current semester?

Leadership:
I'm an officer for a club that does volunteer work at a free health clinic and I've also taught tennis for about a year at my school.

The hiccups in my GPA are pretty much all in my sophomore year, but there has been a pretty strong upward trend. My school's on a quarter system, so after this quarter, my GPA will probably be about 3.47. There's a chance it could breach 3.5 after spring quarter, but if I apply this year I guess schools won't be able to see it (unless I send them updates during the cycle, but I'm not sure how that works)

Thanks all!

That's an excellent leadership experience. And the tennis lessons give you something to put in the Teaching/Mentoring category.

When is your spring quarter over? It might be worth it to wait a little and get those extra grades on your official transcript. The difference between a 3.47 and a 3.5, impact-wise, seems important (to me).

Spring quarter starts at the end of March and runs until mid June and probably won't get grades until end of June. Would it be better to wait and submit grades if they push me over 3.5, or would waiting hurt more than just sending in my app early June without it?

Spring quarter starts at the end of March and runs until mid June and probably won't get grades until end of June. Would it be better to wait and submit grades if they push me over 3.5, or would waiting hurt more than just sending in my app early June without it?

As long as you have your primary application out in mid June, and secondary out by at latest mid July, you should make the cut off to be in the first application pool for most med schools.:)