Helllppppppppppppppppppppppppp

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dWiz

...ndn...
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not a biology major, my question is: will a course in "zoology" (description ->) : a study of vertebrate animals;emphasizing classification, evolution, comparative structure, histology, embryology, count in fulfilling the biology requirements by dental schools? Or is zoology a no no? Please anyone helppp me out,,,soooonnn, i dont have any pre-dent advisor, o/w i would go ask him. :D

Members don't see this ad.

does it have a lab? if it does then it will count

thx for the reply, yes it does have a lab. Are you sure it will count as a biology course?

Members don't see this ad :)
have you not taken a first year biology course
?

dWiz said:
thx for the reply, yes it does have a lab. Are you sure it will count as a biology course?
i am 100% positive, but make sure you look at each schools website that u r oging to apply to, because some require more than 1 year of bio, and some even require biochem (ie Indiana). so look up the schools starting now and see their requirements. make sure you leave the door open for yourself to be able to apply to any school u want.

delicious said:
have you not taken a first year biology course
?

at UW Madison their Biology is called Zoology, it is one and the same. Have no fears, your zoology will count as biology

I do intend on taking atleast 2 years of biology courses, even if i apply this year for next year's cycle.

I've taken an introduction to molecular and cell biology course. I was going to take a second course in organisms and population biology, but was unable to, so I am taking the zoology class instead. I am also taking biochemistry right now. As long as they count then i guess i'm good. I'm sure you guys know what your talking about, thx a lot. :thumbup:

Good question. The course description certainly covers most material in a first year biology course, and thus might count. Older curriculums didn't always have a year long entry science course that many cover now days. Instead they featured one semester of botany and one semester of zoology. Some dental schools (I can't recall which at the moment) were aware of this and allow students, whose school's have such a system in place or who opt to take such a route, to substitute these two courses for the year of biology. My hunch is that you won't have many problems - but if in doubt it's best to contact the schools yourself.

dWiz said:
I'm not a biology major, my question is: will a course in "zoology" (description ->) : a study of vertebrate animals;emphasizing classification, evolution, comparative structure, histology, embryology, count in fulfilling the biology requirements by dental schools? Or is zoology a no no? Please anyone helppp me out,,,soooonnn, i dont have any pre-dent advisor, o/w i would go ask him. :D

Short Answer: Maybe. Call the schools you are planning on applying to, and ask them.

If it is freshman biology it will work if it is not, it wont.

yes yes yes. I majored in zoology. All zoology is bio without a lot of the micro and botany. Will definately help you on the DAT.