hello everybody got a question for u all please!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wadent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey ,,,
Hello everybody ,,, i began studyin for nbde1 a while ago and iam new here on this website...
I began studyin bio-physio and havnt studied those since 1997 so u know what iam talkin about (graduated in 2002) ,,, iam tryin to read metabolism, amino acid from decks BUT ian not understandin it !!! !!!:oops:

do any one recomend a book that have all those in a simple way ??????

Thank you very much for ur time...
lookin to hear from someone pls asap..bec. my exam is in 3 months..
thankss

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

My 2 cents... start with Kaplan (is simple and brief) and your school notes/texts. Once you are through basics go through Lippincott for details.

Dont worry a lot of students are in your position refreshing basics and 3 months is a decent time!

Good luck!

Hi, Wadent- Nehajk and DMD2 are right. After being done with my nbde 1 and scores, I would suggest you to chose your own method of studying that best suits you, rather than relenlessly following others. Key to master all the subjects for nbde 1 is rapid revision. Don't let go any topic unrevised for more than a week this will help you in your final D' days of prep. and whatever you have read will remain fresh and juicy.
Now for biochem. go through kaplan for metabolism with adequate stress on mechanism of action of various harmones. You will definitely have few questions on exam based on these topics. When you start doing the urea cycle, tca and others have a keen eye on use of ATP, feedback inhibition and irreversible reactions as well as key enzymes. For rest of the topics in biochem you can use USMLE first AID and our dental first aid. Only after having done with these go through your decks, they certainly are indispensible in terms that lots of questions will be from the explanation cards, the bad part about decks is that you can't use it as your main source for prep. since all topics are in bits and pieces and are definitely confusing. For DA/DH you can rely solely on decks except for the occlusion. For anatomy, physiology and micro-patho you can use the denatl first aid and later on when you start doing the decks don't forget to mark the extra information it contains on most of the topics. This will save time while you are revising and you will not have to go over the whole thing again except for the extra information.
If you have sufficient time you can go through kaplan for physiology as well but trust me for rest all subjects kaplan is not the way to go forward since it contains lot of useless information and that will be waste of time.
Good Luck to all.

hey bbkj and every body thanks for ur advices i appreciate that so much...well i have the first aid iam studyin from it with the decks i really really hope those will be enough !!
do u guys think 3 months r enough for the exam? any way iam done from d.a....and one more things i would like to ask is it really we have 1 minute on every question for the exam?? is it enough!! well we will see how it goes its gona be ..by the way iam doin some asda exams on d.a and scorin between 77-82 !!!

ok then thank u guys for ur help and support..
lookin 2 hear from u all..
take care

Members don't see this ad :)
Dear Wadent, like I wrote to you in my previous post (apart from the topics I mentioned), first aid and decks are adequate to score 90 and above. I guess 3 months is enough time, provided you meet your deadlines for completing one subject after other and give yourself enough time to go through the old exams and quick revision of everything before you sit for your exams. Dont forget to highlight topics that you consider are your weekness and short term memories. One thing I would suggest you to do is take full length test, since that will be more realistic evaluation of your prep. So save your old exams until you go through the whole material atleast once. technically you do have a little over one min on each qs. on the actual test, but everyone tends to accumulate more time for tougher qs. by answering the easier qs. in shorter than a min.
Good luck

hey bbkj...

thanks for the message,, for me thats the first time iam takin nbde1 and it will be in mid. dec. and iam sure its gona be fine....
any way thank u very much 4 ur help..
may god bless ya my friend and that all ur dreams comes true as well as for evrybody here...

thanks bye bye for now:thumbup::xf:

now iam reading bio from the decks,,, can some one pls explain whats a codon? anticodon? how it works !!!thats in decks 2009-2010..its in card number 69.
thanks again

Last edited:
Thanks for your kind words wadent, and you will be there as well. Its been close to a month since I opened any books, but what I understand is that a codon is base sequence carried by the mRNA, these codons contain 3 specific base sequence (of amino acids), for protien synthesis e.g. an initiation codon AUG will code for methionine. On the other hand an anticodon is found on the t-RNA opposite to its 3'end which is complementary and antiparallel to the codon i.e if the codon is AUG than its anti codon will be CAU. The reason and rationale for having an anticodon on t-RNA is that t-RNA acts as a transport vehicle for the amino acids to the ribosomes for protein synthesis and thus is required to bring exact sequence of amino acid that the M-RNA wanted. Therefore in turn anticodon will attach to a complementary and anti-parallel sequence of bases which in turn codes for methionine. Also this process is executed only by t-RNA since this is the only RNA that can be charged (fueled by ATP & GTP) to carry out all these tough job of tranporting the amino acid sequence to the ribosomes. Hope it clears your doubt.

hey..
its confusing!!! i think that i got the idea

thank u

Last edited:
Dear Wadent, like I wrote to you in my previous post (apart from the topics I mentioned), first aid and decks are adequate to score 90 and above. I guess 3 months is enough time, provided you meet your deadlines for completing one subject after other and give yourself enough time to go through the old exams and quick revision of everything before you sit for your exams. Dont forget to highlight topics that you consider are your weekness and short term memories. One thing I would suggest you to do is take full length test, since that will be more realistic evaluation of your prep. So save your old exams until you go through the whole material atleast once. technically you do have a little over one min on each qs. on the actual test, but everyone tends to accumulate more time for tougher qs. by answering the easier qs. in shorter than a min.
Good luck

hey bbkj,
can you please elaborate on which chapters to do from lippincott and which ones from kaplan nbde review notes in Biochemistry .
In Microbiolgy-Pathology , Kaplan is huge, but will you recommend that o'er Nbde first aid ?
The more i finish, each chapter, the more i feel i dont remember anything,a weekly revision of what was studied in each week is essential, i guess, what do you say ?

Dear Truth seeker, neither me nor my friends who scored above 90 used Lippincot. Pls. don't get the impression that I am trying to discourage you from using any standard text books. I only read metabolism from kaplan in biochemistry since it was not adequately covered in first aid. For rest of the biochemistry, physiology, anatomy, DA/DH and micro-path. I read USMLE first aid (only for biochem), dental first aid and decks-09/10 for rest all subjects. After going through all the old exams and actual test I would suggest you to be thorough with dental first aid and decks apart for topics I metioned earlier to be referred from other sources. I know how confusing it was for me when I started my prep. initially when I used to learn about various text books and resources other folks were using. Also feel free to use wikipedia when you have doubts.
Good luck.

Dear Truth seeker, neither me nor my friends who scored above 90 used Lippincot. Pls. don't get the impression that I am trying to discourage you from using any standard text books. I only read metabolism from kaplan in biochemistry since it was not adequately covered in first aid. For rest of the biochemistry, physiology, anatomy, DA/DH and micro-path. I read USMLE first aid (only for biochem), dental first aid and decks-09/10 for rest all subjects. After going through all the old exams and actual test I would suggest you to be thorough with dental first aid and decks apart for topics I metioned earlier to be referred from other sources. I know how confusing it was for me when I started my prep. initially when I used to learn about various text books and resources other folks were using. Also feel free to use wikipedia when you have doubts.
Good luck.
Thanks a lot for your prompt reply!
that is such a relief , kaplan has too much extra which i hav to believe as others said.
i have soft copy of USMLE first aid, the high yield is that wat you are talking about ?
is decks 09-10 anywhere above 06-07 ? i hav the 06-07 one.
are 3 months decent to prepare with NBDEfirst aid , decks and q' papers .
how many times revision would you suggest thats practically possible

Dear Truth Seeker, you are welcome. I think 3 month is a decent time although I studied for 31/2 month but at the same time I was working on my job + had to attend classes as well, it was the final 25 days when I'd to cut my self from the external world. I used usmle first aid only for biochem. and it was not just the high yeild rather I made myself thorough with each and evey line and word it contained in its 30 some pages of biochem. You are right, no matter how attractive kaplan looks with the volumes of information it contains, I felt most of those extra information are unnecessay and thats the reason I didn't read it at all except for the metabolism. Coming to the decks 09/10 definitely contains more and useful information compared to the 07 edition, that the board are testing us on these days. Widely speaking I did one complete revision, but technically I beleive I did numerous revisions since every day when I used to pick my books I used to give a recap of the topics from the previous day and used to leave half of the weekend only for revision of old topics I'd read earlier (without touching any new topics) so I guess in my whole prep. period of 14 weeks I read most of the topics atleast 5-6 times. Lemme tell you something, although it may seem like waste of time revising topics in such quick succession but you'll realize its benefits when you are a week away from your exam when you have all topics fresh in mind. You can close your eyes and can revise each and evey lines of those books without even opening those pages. Make sure you start solving the old question papers when you are fully prepared but atleast 20-30 days before your exams this will give you enough time to strengthen in areas where you scoring less. Out of 400 qs on test you will be able to ans 300 only by mastering dental first aid for rest 40-60 can be taken care of with the extra information you read in the new decks, 10-15 questions you are bound to ans. incorrectly which is human error and rest arround 25 qs I consider them extra-terrestrial which I beleive will either take a genius to ans. them or may be a 6 months of research. But anyway if you seem to be happy with any score above 90 then I beleive whatever I've metioned will certainly take you there.What I forgot to mention was set weekly goals but never set unrealistic targets that you can't achieve and when you tend to fall short of what you thought of completing in that particular week increase your time of study without loosing your sleep by cutting short on other chores remember adequate rest and sleep is equally important, at the same time if you finish a topic shorter than your alloted time give yourself a treat go for a coffee break or something he he... All the best my friend and take care.

Last edited:
Dear Truth Seeker, you are welcome. I think 3 month is a decent time although I studied for 31/2 month but at the same time I was working on my job + had to attend classes as well, it was the final 25 days when I'd to cut my self from the external world. I used usmle first aid only for biochem. and it was not just the high yeild rather I made myself thorough with each and evey line and word it contained in its 30 some pages of biochem. You are right, no matter how attractive kaplan looks with the volumes of information it contains, I felt most of those extra information are unnecessay and thats the reason I didn't read it at all except for the metabolism. Coming to the decks 09/10 definitely contains more and useful information compared to the 07 edition, that the board are testing us on these days. Widely speaking I did one complete revision, but technically I beleive I did numerous revisions since every day when I used to pick my books I used to give a recap of the topics from the previous day and used to leave half of the weekend only for revision of old topics I'd read earlier (without touching any new topics) so I guess in my whole prep. period of 14 weeks I read most of the topics atleast 5-6 times. Lemme tell you something, although it may seem like waste of time revising topics in such quick succession but you'll realize its benefits when you are a week away from your exam when you have all topics fresh in mind. You can close your eyes and can revise each and evey lines of those books without even opening those pages. Make sure you start solving the old question papers when you are fully prepared but atleast 20-30 days before your exams this will give you enough time to strengthen in areas where you scoring less. Out of 400 qs on test you will be able to ans 300 only by mastering dental first aid for rest 40-60 can be taken care of with the extra information you read in the new decks, 10-15 questions you are bound to ans. incorrectly which is human error and rest arround 25 qs I consider them extra-terrestrial which I beleive will either take a genius to ans. them or may be a 6 months of research. But anyway if you seem to be happy with any score above 90 then I beleive whatever I've metioned will certainly take you there.What I forgot to mention was set weekly goals but never set unrealistic targets that you can't achieve and when you tend to fall short of what you thought of completing in that particular week increase your time of study without loosing your sleep by cutting short on other chores remember adequate rest and sleep is equally important, at the same time if you finish a topic shorter than your alloted time give yourself a treat go for a coffee break or something he he... All the best my friend and take care.

Well Said BBKJ....You have spent a considerable amount of time in penning down things which might be of great help to rest of the people....I think all these good deeds themselves would itself take you to higher shores in life ! Iam also a couple of weeks away from my test and sometimes it isnt easy cutting your self from the world, and also the autumn blues .....but still trying hard everyday !! ;):) Thanks for all your help.

Hi ...thx for your help. Where can I get USMLE first aid and dental first aid. I graduated in 2003......took exam once in 2005 but didn't get good score. I wanted to take my exam again and was surprised to see that I cannot retake in 2010......am devastated but atleast happy to know that I still have a chance this year. I am planning to take this year end. Any inputs will be appreciated. Please help where I can get the above materials....

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your kind words Hammered, and all the best for your exams.

Hi ...thx for your help. Where can I get USMLE first aid and dental first aid. I graduated in 2003......took exam once in 2005 but didn't get good score. I wanted to take my exam again and was surprised to see that I cannot retake in 2010......am devastated but atleast happy to know that I still have a chance this year. I am planning to take this year end. Any inputs will be appreciated. Please help where I can get the above materials....

You can buy it online from amazon or can try a used book stores.

You can buy it online from amazon or can try a used book stores.

HEY GUYS its me again,,,,now iam into biochem-physio god it taking me long time to remeber all those enzymes amino acids and others .......
any menomics for bio-physio ????
thanks

i heard there are some flash cards for biochem by lange, how is that? someone pls come forward to share your views.

Good luck
hey bbkj,
thats good of a explanation n generous in sharing your success tips. As you have mentioned, I personally have realized many a times abt the voids in the decks for the occlusion. I feel so tough to manage any movement questions other than the one that can be solved with the shark diagram( hope the name is rt) Can you suggest a way out for this riddle? I even bought the Okeson book, maybe I donno how to use it. Can you tell what chapters of this book wud shed some light.Pls extend your hands to fix this. Any idea n suggestion to solve this fine.Thank you in advance.

Thank you. I was just looking Amazon and found NBDE first aid and NBDE first aid Q bank, one book each. are these are the ones that I should buy. Pls help in buying these.....Afetr reading your threads, I feel I am in the same boat. I am working for a pharma and now want to take the exam...Also is there any specific edition that is good or best to buy.please guide.

Last edited:
Dear Dentgod, I faced the same problem with occlusion when I was preparing for my exams. Decks has concentrated the concept of movement, specially in terms of path taken by cusps in working and non-working movement. What I did was, I had marked those pages in decks and kept revising ‘em every alternate day, at the same time I used to visualize all kind of hypothetical mand. movements and path taken by working and non-working cusps, also I used the old DA/DH exams to familiarize myself with the practical application of those concepts. Okeson is a great book but all I read was a power point notes based on this book, which deals with relationship of cusp size and slope of articular eminence, on which the board is testing us (you’ll have 4-5 qs on this topic). I can forward you these notes in your personal e-mail, but before I do that you’ll have to promise me that you will forward these notes in this forum to whoever you feel might be in need of it or whoever request for help and you think that this might be useful to them. Remember this forum is all about selfless sharing of personal experiences that might benefit others and save both time and effort. I will not be active on this forum after sept. 26 so you guys will have to take on from there. And friends one thing I wanted to let everyone know in this thread, don’t follow someone because he/she has scored higher on the test, everyone has their own method of dealing with challenges, you can definitely chose one based on someone else’s experience if it suits you. What most of us tend to do initially is get carried away with number of sources and high profile text-books used by others, I would say that all those books are definitely awesome to make your concept clear and most of us have read them thoroughly earlier, but when you have time constraint you will have to be more focused and to the point. If someone is planning to take this exam in a 3 months prep. Going through various text books might prove lethal, but that’s just my opinion. I consider myself an average student and I did it, so will you. Keep yourself motivated by achieving your short term weekly goals and sometimes a negative thought of retaking the exam is enough to bring you back on your study table no matter how naughty you might be feeling at the moment. I am sure each one of you in this thread has the potential to turn the tides in your favor, just stay focused and keep working hard. May god bring success to all of you and whatever you aspire for. All the best to everyone and keep the good deed going.

Thank you. I was just looking Amazon and found NBDE first aid and NBDE first aid Q bank, one book each. are these are the ones that I should buy. Pls help in buying these.....Afetr reading your threads, I feel I am in the same boat. I am working for a pharma and now want to take the exam...Also is there any specific edition that is good or best to buy.please guide.
Dear PVS, I don't know if there's any latest edition in the market right now, but I used 2007 edition first aid, hope this helps.

Dear Dentgod, I faced the same problem with occlusion when I was preparing for my exams. Decks has concentrated the concept of movement, specially in terms of path taken by cusps in working and non-working movement. What I did was, I had marked those pages in decks and kept revising ‘em every alternate day, at the same time I used to visualize all kind of hypothetical mand. movements and path taken by working and non-working cusps, also I used the old DA/DH exams to familiarize myself with the practical application of those concepts. Okeson is a great book but all I read was a power point notes based on this book, which deals with relationship of cusp size and slope of articular eminence, on which the board is testing us (you’ll have 4-5 qs on this topic). I can forward you these notes in your personal e-mail, but before I do that you’ll have to promise me that you will forward these notes in this forum to whoever you feel might be in need of it or whoever request for help and you think that this might be useful to them. Remember this forum is all about selfless sharing of personal experiences that might benefit others and save both time and effort. I will not be active on this forum after sept. 26 so you guys will have to take on from there. And friends one thing I wanted to let everyone know in this thread, don’t follow someone because he/she has scored higher on the test, everyone has their own method of dealing with challenges, you can definitely chose one based on someone else’s experience if it suits you. What most of us tend to do initially is get carried away with number of sources and high profile text-books used by others, I would say that all those books are definitely awesome to make your concept clear and most of us have read them thoroughly earlier, but when you have time constraint you will have to be more focused and to the point. If someone is planning to take this exam in a 3 months prep. Going through various text books might prove lethal, but that’s just my opinion. I consider myself an average student and I did it, so will you. Keep yourself motivated by achieving your short term weekly goals and sometimes a negative thought of retaking the exam is enough to bring you back on your study table no matter how naughty you might be feeling at the moment. I am sure each one of you in this thread has the potential to turn the tides in your favor, just stay focused and keep working hard. May god bring success to all of you and whatever you aspire for. All the best to everyone and keep the good deed going.

Well said :thumbup: but why r u giving up on SDN ?? ;)

Well said :thumbup: but why r u giving up on SDN ?? ;)
Well my friend its about time to move on with interviews and other preparations, and I may not be able to keep up with others qs. in a timely fashion but I am sure there are good people out there like you and others who will come out for help when needed. I will try my best to be available for you guys whenever I can.

hey bbkj..
hey ,,,ur nice person sharin with us all those experience and avices...thanks..

bbkj u mentioned anout some notes on da! that u have or that ur goin to post them here ,,,will u post them pls ???
thanks

Well my friend its about time to move on with interviews and other preparations, and I may not be able to keep up with others qs. in a timely fashion but I am sure there are good people out there like you and others who will come out for help when needed. I will try my best to be available for you guys whenever I can.

Yess buddy....time to move on for all of us and for all new ventures and hopefully we shall keep helping each other no matter wat paths we tread not forgetting we all were once in the same boat ! My test is in a couple of weeks and i have to keep reassuring myself everytime....its okie a few more days of fall blues and seeing motivating words from people like you does make a difference....regardless of the fact that we all r strangers , it does bring a ray of hope in the cloudy sky outside !! ;) i know too much of being philosophical for the day :D so i better get back to my books now !!
Goodluck !!!:thumbup:

That was a good one! We wud definitely miss your writings. Anyway good luck to you. My email is [email protected]. I will send to my friends that I know. Thank you.

hey bbkj..
hey ,,,ur nice person sharin with us all those experience and avices...thanks..

bbkj u mentioned anout some notes on da! that u have or that ur goin to post them here ,,,will u post them pls ???
thanks
Dear Wadent I am sending the occlusion notes as well some extra points in word doc. to Dentgods e-mail, please request him to forward it to you.

Yess buddy....time to move on for all of us and for all new ventures and hopefully we shall keep helping each other no matter wat paths we tread not forgetting we all were once in the same boat ! My test is in a couple of weeks and i have to keep reassuring myself everytime....its okie a few more days of fall blues and seeing motivating words from people like you does make a difference....regardless of the fact that we all r strangers , it does bring a ray of hope in the cloudy sky outside !! ;) i know too much of being philosophical for the day :D so i better get back to my books now !!
Goodluck !!!:thumbup:
He he...keep churning dude, best of luck

Please note that you may not distribute any material that breaks copyright law. Also SDN is not a clearinghouse for review material nor is it the place to solicit it. We have a classifieds section if you wish to make a request for legal material. Any further misconduct will result in disciplinary action taken upon your account. Do not make me close this thread.

Can someone let me know which books to read for occlusion....and does dental aid has 2 parts

Last edited: