Hello Everyone

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Newman8r

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here, just wanted to intoduce myself.

ok well I have a question too:

I'm going to be a sophomore this year, and I want to decide whether or not to have a minor (as far as this would affect my application to medical school), and if so, which one. Should I chose a science-related minor to back up my biology major, or would it be a good idea to chose something unrelated, to show that I have other interests?

On my list so far: Psychology, biotechnology, philosophy, 'western intellectual tradition', history, etc.

Well I know that it would be a nice change of pace to take some different types of courses, but my prime concern is being as competitive as possible in the application process

Members don't see this ad.

Do you really want to minor in something? If so, then go for it, have some fun. If you really don't and just want to make your application look better for medical school then I advise you do not. Your gonna make your undergrad life harder, and it may even lower your potential GPA. You are not even required to study for a science major to enter into medical school, just to take the required courses, and since you already have a biology major, that would be fine.

It boils down to what would be better and more enjoyable for you. Have some fun, and dont stress out too much like I used to. Best of luck to you.

Thanks. Well I think it would be nice to have a non science minor just to mix things up - but it's not something I'd want to do purely for the sake of taking some interesting courses.

I guess what I am really wondering is the extent to which it would improve my chances of admission with regard to the followng idea: that someone who has a good grasp of science and biology as well as talent in the field of liberal arts is more capable of (or has at least demonstrated) abstract thought, as well as the fact that they may be more mature academically

Well this could be completely wrong, I'd love some opinions. If a minor simply has a miniscule effect on admissions, then I'd rather spend the time doing community service or some other generic application booster

I recommend doing a non-science minor not just for med school but for yourself too. Pick something that will excite you and interest you the most. Med schools don't care what major and minor you have. Just have fun with it. I am a physiology major and an education minor. I love my minor just because it kinda gives me a break from all those science classes quarter after quarter. Goodluck :thumbup: