hello fellow researchers

Discussion in 'Student Research and Publishing' started by Newman8r, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Newman8r

Newman8r Membership Revoked
    Removed

The study I'm running involves rodents.. I hate rodents, they scare the hell out of me an I think they're disgusting with their gross beady eyes and ther fleshy disgusting tails and horrible disgusting noises and odors

just wanted to get that out. anyone else here ever been in a similar situation?

2. DropkickMurphy

DropkickMurphy Membership Revoked
    Removed

Other Health Professions Student
    Personally I would have more problem with hurting the rats in one of professors' labs than I would doing the same experiment on the professor. My fiancee and I plan on adopting several of the rats to avoid them being put down at the end of the project (it's blood cell count research, nothing infectious just so you know).

3. wam_256

wam_256 Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think that is really nice of you Praetorian!! :thumbup:

4. DropkickMurphy

DropkickMurphy Membership Revoked
    Removed

Other Health Professions Student
    I'm glad someone else appreciates it. :)

5. Thundrstorm

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I don't dislike rodents, but I did have a bit of a problem with my rodent-related research. I worked on embryonic neural stem cells, and this required me to sacrifice pregnant mice, something that my family and friends had no trouble telling me was evil. I figured, hey, they use mouse traps; if inconvenenience is reason enough to kill a mouse, why isn't the promotion of health? Anyway, I felt that the ethics of my decision to go forward with the research were logically sound, but it still felt bad/wrong. I'm the kind of person who, as a kid, wouldn't even kill insects. I eventually just got used to it, which is probably kind of horrifying in and of itself.

Anyway, to the OP: maybe it will help if you imagine they're all mickey mouse or something? The one part of my research that was difficult to stomach involved vaginal probing on mice; it was simply disgusting, but after a few mornings doing the job, I just kind of got over being grossed out. Just give it time, and try not to think about how skeeved out you are.

6. gioia

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    One of my classmates cried everytime she sacrificed rodents. She's an animal rights activist unaware that was part of her job description when she agreed to do the project. :(