DO Hello friends!~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PinkDinosoar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello friends. I have been lurking on this site for quite a while and want to know what my chances are.
I am currently in my last semester and have taken general bio/chem/physics courses as well as organic chemistry, cellular molecular biology and biochemistry. I retook both general chemistry courses and have 3 W's on my transcript. (Orgo lab/intro eng course/and my school's choir group that was counted as a class). How will this affect me?

I am very sure that my cumulative GPA will be at a 3.4 w/ a science GPA of 3.2 after I graduate. I also have a pretty bad MCAT score 501 (I plan on retaking this).

Other than that I have...
- Worked as a lab assistant in a clinic where I got to perform phlebotomy, screen for flu/mono/strep, and run urine samples. (about half a year)
- I also have gotten my Certified Nurse Assistant license and am a substitute care giver for a private home where I got about around 500+ hours.
- Basic life support certified
- I also volunteer in a underrepresented community taking vital signs for a elder care program (100 hours)
- I also do small volunteering at my church.. (around 70 hours)

I also have shadowed both MD/DO's and will receive a LOR from both (primary care physicians)
I am also in the process of trying to get a LOR from one of my bio professors..

What do you all think my chances are with my current stats... I am only going to try to apply early and broadly to lower/mid tier D.O schools.

I plan on taking a gap year and applying for the next cycle. Should I maybe do a DYI post-bacc program and take more upper level courses? What I plan on doing during my gap year is to try get a scribe position at a hospital or volunteer at planned parenthood.

I am also not a URM..

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Your stats are not competitive for MD schools but you have a chance for some DO schools, especially the newer ones. The scribe position at the hospital wold help you.
DO schools where you have a chance for an interview include:
ACOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
CUSOM
LUCOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
WVSOM
Any new DO schools that open in 2017 (there will be several)
You can apply to others also though they are less likely with your stats.

Apply broadly and early, I suggest skipping AZCOM, CCOM, and the coastal Touros. You should get some II with a well written app. Only retake the MCAT if you know that you can raise it to above 505+.