Hello newbie interested in becoming a deaf audiologist

Started by mshoya
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mshoya

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am new to the board. I am hard of hearing and a graduate of Gallaudet. I am looking to go back to school for audiology. I have some questions

1. My gpa from Gallaudet is 2.5. Do I have to take the prerequisite classes before or after I have been admitted?

2. I plan on working while in school. Could I possibly take two classes per term?

3. Gallaudet is my first choice but I am willing to move.

4. Any advice for being a deaf audiologist? I would like to work for the government or open my own practice when I graduate.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
 
My suggestion would be to apply for a Ph.D. And not a clinical degree since it would be a waste of time if you are have a profound loss in both ears. Research degrees would allow you to work. In a clinical degree, you would not be able to do any testing. Also, a 2.5 is not considered a competitive GPA for audiology. You sound really sweet, but I don't want you to waste your time and money applying..
 
I am new to the board. I am hard of hearing and a graduate of Gallaudet. I am looking to go back to school for audiology. I have some questions

1. My gpa from Gallaudet is 2.5. Do I have to take the prerequisite classes before or after I have been admitted?

2. I plan on working while in school. Could I possibly take two classes per term?

3. Gallaudet is my first choice but I am willing to move.

4. Any advice for being a deaf audiologist? I would like to work for the government or open my own practice when I graduate.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk


How hard of hearing? One has to be able to still perform a lot of the functions of an audiologist and you can have some hearing loss and function, but if you are severe to profound then you'll have a very tough time doing the job.

Your GPA is very low for any program. It is difficult to work while in an AuD program as you usually have 15-20 credit hours of classes a week plus clinical duties plus many programs have you doing research or some type of graduate assistance program for a small stipend.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My left is is the normal range but my right is profound.
Thanks for your feedback. I will work on getting a great GRE score and look at stipends. The other option was maybe becoming a speech and language pathologist.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
 
I would suggest doing some shadowing if you are between speech language pathologist and audiologist. Very different careers.