Hello...what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clutzie16

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to this forum, and im glad i found it because it is very helpful. Thanks!

I was just wondering based on everyones experiences what my chances are of getting in. The reason im asking is because i have 10 W's from a previous school, because i had some problems at home that i was dealing with but still persisted on taking classes which was a stupid decision. I ended up with a 2;.4 gpa there, eventhough i didnt really take many prereqs for optometry in that school. I figured everything out at home, and transferred to a new school, where i took most of my classes that i need for optometry. My new GPA is 3.47 ( orgoI=b, physicsI=B+, ChemII=A, Micro=A, BIO I=A, CHemI=B-old school) the rest of the classes that i need im going to be taking this fall along with the OAT.
I have a lot of experience working in an opthalmologists office and an optometrists office. Im going to have good LOR's from 2 professors and the optometrists
the W's are what are scaring me, is it still worth to apply?
my top choices are SUNY NECO and PCO

thanks everyone for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

The best advice is to contact each of the schools you are interested in directly. Each school's policy towards W's is a little different, and they can counsel you on the best way to approach the situation.

My personal opinion is you will have to explain what the problems you were going through were, but you showed that you can do very well in the classes at the second school, so hopefully, you've got a good story to tell and they'll cut you some slack!

Good Luck! :luck:

prettygreeneyes said:
The best advice is to contact each of the schools you are interested in directly. Each school's policy towards W's is a little different, and they can counsel you on the best way to approach the situation.

My personal opinion is you will have to explain what the problems you were going through were, but you showed that you can do very well in the classes at the second school, so hopefully, you've got a good story to tell and they'll cut you some slack!

Good Luck! :luck:

Thank You very much, maybe that is what i'll do, but somehow i dont think that any of the schools are really going to tell me anything other than, "apply and see what happens", but its worth a try.

thanks again for your help.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree... most schools will probably just ask you to apply. It might be worth asking if you can submit an extra letter given your circumstances. Make the letter straightforward and don't play too much on sympathy. Just state the facts. Your high GPA at the second school will help, I'm sure they will see that you can do well.

Best of luck :luck:

EyeBaller said:
I agree... most schools will probably just ask you to apply. It might be worth asking if you can submit an extra letter given your circumstances. Make the letter straightforward and don't play too much on sympathy. Just state the facts. Your high GPA at the second school will help, I'm sure they will see that you can do well.

Best of luck :luck:

Thanks a lot again, we'll see what happens. =)

clutzie16 said:
Thank You very much, maybe that is what i'll do, but somehow i dont think that any of the schools are really going to tell me anything other than, "apply and see what happens", but its worth a try.

thanks again for your help.

I have little experience with schools other than ICO and Pacific, but generally, they will be pretty upfront with you. For example, my husband is applying to Pacific this year. He has some unique circumstances including retakes and even a D. ( :eek: ) The admissions director at Pacific counseled him over the phone on exactly what he needed to be doing. (ie. wait until fall grades are posted to apply, do more than the "required" 30 hrs. of observation, be sure to complete optional essay, retake classes x and y, but don't worry about z) She gave him very specific advice on what she, as an adcom, would be looking for. I would like to think that other schools would be as helpful to their applicants, but again, my experience is limited.

prettygreeneyes said:
I have little experience with schools other than ICO and Pacific, but generally, they will be pretty upfront with you. For example, my husband is applying to Pacific this year. He has some unique circumstances including retakes and even a D. ( :eek: ) The admissions director at Pacific counseled him over the phone on exactly what he needed to be doing. (ie. wait until fall grades are posted to apply, do more than the "required" 30 hrs. of observation, be sure to complete optional essay, retake classes x and y, but don't worry about z) She gave him very specific advice on what she, as an adcom, would be looking for. I would like to think that other schools would be as helpful to their applicants, but again, my experience is limited.

Hello

thanks for the reply, i'm going to be applying to 8 schools cause i figure the more i apply to the higher my chances of at least one accepting me. The w's are honestly whats killing me, i dont know if i should call the schools individually and talk to them but sometimes they wont put people through to the counselors, i guess waiting to see the fall grades go through is an option but that means i will complete my application by around january, i thought that was kinda late. i dont know, i figure ill get them all in and take my chances, if they call me for an interview ill be able to explain myself, if not i guess ill have to reapply next year

good luck~ i hope your husband gets accepted, and as far as the D, i know a few people who got into schools having 2 or 3 F;s

good luck again!
and thanks

clutzie16 said:
Hello

thanks for the reply, i'm going to be applying to 8 schools cause i figure the more i apply to the higher my chances of at least one accepting me. The w's are honestly whats killing me, i dont know if i should call the schools individually and talk to them but sometimes they wont put people through to the counselors, i guess waiting to see the fall grades go through is an option but that means i will complete my application by around january, i thought that was kinda late. i dont know, i figure ill get them all in and take my chances, if they call me for an interview ill be able to explain myself, if not i guess ill have to reapply next year

good luck~ i hope your husband gets accepted, and as far as the D, i know a few people who got into schools having 2 or 3 F;s

good luck again!
and thanks

I am in almost the same boat as you. I am retaking some courses this fall. I know my GPA will increase with these fall semester grades but I don't want to apply in January. I guess I will have to call the admissions office and see what they tell me. Could you let me know also what the admissions office tell you? Thanks

Clovers said:
I am in almost the same boat as you. I am retaking some courses this fall. I know my GPA will increase with these fall semester grades but I don't want to apply in January. I guess I will have to call the admissions office and see what they tell me. Could you let me know also what the admissions office tell you? Thanks

Ill definitely tell you what they tell me, but from what ive seen so far they just tell you to apply and then the school lets you know what needs improvement and so on and so forth, they can accept you conditionally if your grades in the fall raise your gpa, but i would still send in my application early since there will definitely be more spots left.

good luck!
let us know what happens =)

clutzie16 said:
Hello

good luck again!
and thanks

Hi clutzie16,

Just wanted to clear up that the advice I mentioned was specific to my husband (what the counselor told him based on his exact situation) and may not be the best for you. He is an Electrical Engineer that is coming back to take prereqs after a year of working full time. Pacific has a preferred app deadline of sometime in January, and so long as you apply before then, you are generally OK (with them... no guarantees about other schools).

That is pretty sad to hear that some schools won't put your through to counselors when you have questions. I myself would be marking those schools right off my list... This process sucks as is, without the added mystery thrown in by adcoms as to what exactly one needs to do to get in.

prettygreeneyes said:
Hi clutzie16,

Just wanted to clear up that the advice I mentioned was specific to my husband (what the counselor told him based on his exact situation) and may not be the best for you. He is an Electrical Engineer that is coming back to take prereqs after a year of working full time. Pacific has a preferred app deadline of sometime in January, and so long as you apply before then, you are generally OK (with them... no guarantees about other schools).

That is pretty sad to hear that some schools won't put your through to counselors when you have questions. I myself would be marking those schools right off my list... This process sucks as is, without the added mystery thrown in by adcoms as to what exactly one needs to do to get in.

Hi, thanks for clearing that up, but i know that everything is case specific, meaning that every one gets advice based on their situation. Its just that there are so many things to consider that im starting to get lost. Anyway, i'm going to start applying now and hopefully i ownt be missing anything...they will tell me if i am right?

thanks for your help

you'll likely get into PCO and NECO but will have a tougher time getting into SUNY. look at the class profiles on www.opted.org. you may want to apply to ICO too and SCO. p.s. Dr. Johnston at SUNY is very helpful:)

gsinccom said:
you'll likely get into PCO and NECO but will have a tougher time getting into SUNY. look at the class profiles on www.opted.org. you may want to apply to ICO too and SCO. p.s. Dr. Johnston at SUNY is very helpful:)

hello, thanks a lot for the reassurance, eventhough i have so many W's you still think i have a chance at getting into PCO? im filling out their application now and in the "comments (optional) section i dont know whether to write anythign in reference to that

Should i leave it blank? or write that i had a tough time during that year and a half?

any ideas guys?

clutzie16 said:
hello, thanks a lot for the reassurance, eventhough i have so many W's you still think i have a chance at getting into PCO? im filling out their application now and in the "comments (optional) section i dont know whether to write anythign in reference to that

Should i leave it blank? or write that i had a tough time during that year and a half?

any ideas guys?

you'll never know until you try. but looking at the class profiles it appears that the only other school you'd have a better shot at getting into than PCO is the Puerto Rico one.

Best wishes:)

p.s. I'd suggest contacting a few students at PCO. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=255447