Hello!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ktmewow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello students! I am new to the forum and I just wanted to know if anyone is thinking about going to the islands for school? Is it a last resort for some?

Members don't see this ad.

Island schools have always been sort of a non-option for me. By the time I started applying I was on the verge of getting engaged and it would have meant spending 4 years away from the SO. The island school environs aren't good for his job market and I don't do long distance relationships at all well. So I didn't even bother considering it.

I didn't consider island schools. the cost of travel and the difference in fund availability plus the extra costs at the end just made it an unattractive option financially. I am also married, have pets and a house, and like to see my family (12 hours away) annually. It wouldn't have been logisticly possible.

I did relocated partially to establish myself in a state for residency where I had a liklihood of gaining acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got accepted to Ross University (in the Caribbean), but deferred my admission to try to get into my IS school. The only reason that Ross is an option for me is that I have few ties to the US (except for family..I'm not married, done with school, can't find a job) and am able to afford it. Not many will argue the fact that you will get a GREAT education at any of the island schools. but to answer your question, it's not so much a last resort as it is an appropriate alternative (saying last resort kind of gives it a bad connotation). Different strokes for different folks. But from what I understand, island life is NOT easy for everyone, so that's something to consider. Hopefully, I won't have to worry about island life because I'll get into a state school :xf:.

I don't think I would like to be that far away from my family, which is why I might consider it a last resort. But honestly, I will go to which ever school takes me. My GPA isn't the greatest but I have 7 years experience and I am willing to apply as many times as needed. I just hope I do well on the GRE. I have been told to prepare at least 6-8 months in advance.

For the GRE?!

No I wouldn't recommend preparing that long in advance. I think Kaplan recommends preparing no longer than 3 months for the GRE with between 1-2 months I think being the norm. For me personally, having that much time makes me more prone to procrastinate, then I forget some of the stuff I've already reviewed. I need to have the pressure of the exam on me so I really put the time and energy into reviewing on a daily basis.

As for your original question...I am not considering island schools simply because of location, distance from family, and lack of work opportunities for my fiance. I have seen good vets that came out of those schools, but for me I'd much rather stay state-side. (well ok, I would actually LOVE to go to RVC just cause I love london, but again, the fiances work situation doesn't fit in with that idea. boo!)

Does anyone know more about the island life at Ross? What sort of jobs would be available for significant others?

I think it's pretty limited. You can probably PM zpinkpanther with any specific questions you have about the island, but be patient because there are finals next week.

On the note about significant others...... Is it fair to expect them to relocate with you? I have been in a relationship for 4 years and we have been putting off marraige for the reason that I do not know where I will be going to school and if it will be possible for him to come with. I know our relationship is strong enough withstand the long distance but what if....? Is anyone else facing this question? I sometimes wonder what my grades would be like if I only had the stress of school and not the typical stresses of having a relationship.

On the note about significant others...... Is it fair to expect them to relocate with you? I have been in a relationship for 4 years and we have been putting off marraige for the reason that I do not know where I will be going to school and if it will be possible for him to come with. I know our relationship is strong enough withstand the long distance but what if....? Is anyone else facing this question? I sometimes wonder what my grades would be like if I only had the stress of school and not the typical stresses of having a relationship.

I think whether it's fair really depends on your relationship and his goals in life. Would he be happy living there for a few years? Would that mess up his career goals? I definitely think you two need to talk about options beforehand - what will happen if you get into your state school? another school in the US? the Caribbean?

My state school was a five hour drive from where I was living, and my fiance was applying to grad school for his MSEd at the same time, so before we even applied we I talked about it and decided that we would both apply to my state school and if either one of us got in, we would pick up and move . If neither of us got in, we had plans for him to apply to other schools that same year, but stay in-state so I could maintain my residency. Basically, we had a plan worked out beforehand that was fair and acceptable to both of us.

I think if your relationship is affecting your grades you need to do some thinking about why that is and correct it, because it will probably get more pronounced in vet school. Personally I have found that this relationship helps me with school because it calms me down and puts things in perspective, but if that's not the case you should probably address it before vet school as well.

I am going to Ross this fall and, yes, to be perfectly honest, I would much rather be going to a domestic school. That being said, my grades were nowhere near what they needed to be to get into a US school and I am extremely grateful that Ross looked beyond my grades. I work with two amazing doctors who went to Ross and I have never heard that anything was lacking in their academic program. Plus, once I graduate (and pass the necessary exams), I'll have a DVM.

I am going to Ross this fall and, yes, to be perfectly honest, I would much rather be going to a domestic school. That being said, my grades were nowhere near what they needed to be to get into a US school and I am extremely grateful that Ross looked beyond my grades. I work with two amazing doctors who went to Ross and I have never heard that anything was lacking in their academic program. Plus, once I graduate (and pass the necessary exams), I'll have a DVM.

same here (except I'm going in May). Sometimes it's rough, because when someone asks me where I'm going, I say Ross with slight hesitation. I would prefer to go to a domestic school. My grades are just on the fence so that I'm not incredibly competitive, but not out of the mix completely. But Ross was completely understanding regarding my freshman year and a few poor grades here and there. But I figured that I might regret it down the road if I didn't try to get in here. My friends honestly think I'm insane. One thing that has me really nervous (really premature!) but the whole ECFVG process sounds really annoying. And I have heard nothing but great things about Ross' academic program. In fact, I have heard that it is more rigorous than some US schools.

although im not pre-vet but pre-med, i think the concerns are very similar.
you definitely need to talk to your SO.
i have been with my bf for 4.5 years now and when i was applying we definitely spoke about cities and states we'd be comfortable living in. he was applying to chem phd programs but thankfully the applications werent due until dec/jan.
i knew that long distance is definitely not an option for me (i dont do that well at all! id probably be a stressed out, nervous wreck) so we planned schools that will allow us to be in the same city (all the schools in nyc, boston, and UPenn in philly).
also, i definitely wonder about the grades thing. for me its not that my grades dropped significantly but with any relationship you still have your tough spots and those take your time, attention, and nerves away from school work. also, my bf went to school a couple of train stops away from me so i would always rush to get my work done and then go spend the night with him (junior and ESPECIALLY senior year when he had an apt not a dorm)

anyways, thats my story, i hope it helps..