Hello.........

FloresJenkins

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums:)

Members don't see this ad.

Uh...shouldn't this be the other way around?

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice signature... Looks like one of those spamming advertisement bots. Banhammer in 3..... 2..... 1.........

JChait: your trip sounds really cool. What are you going to do there? (this discussion could probably be elsewhere, but I just noticed it).

JChait: your trip sounds really cool. What are you going to do there? (this discussion could probably be elsewhere, but I just noticed it).

Lol, no problem. I'm going to El Salvador (again) with a few medical students and faculty from NYCOM on a psuedo-public health research trip with some clinical visits and house calls interspersed. Pretty much our goal is to see what are the major health problems of each area, and we will assess, alongside peace core volunteers, how we can fix these problems through education and other sustainable methods.

More info on the tumblr :) Feel free to bookmark it, or follow me. I'll post once or twice a day when I'm down there (if I have internet and electricity) and keep posting before the trip if any relevant info comes up.

EDIT: Plus, I'm trying to find a project on my own... Something I can research and report on. No idea what that could be, so I've been brainstorming and thinking.

Last edited:
Lol, no problem. I'm going to El Salvador (again) with a few medical students and faculty from NYCOM on a psuedo-public health research trip with some clinical visits and house calls interspersed. Pretty much our goal is to see what are the major health problems of each area, and we will assess, alongside peace core volunteers, how we can fix these problems through education and other sustainable methods.

More info on the tumblr :) Feel free to bookmark it, or follow me. I'll post once or twice a day when I'm down there (if I have internet and electricity) and keep posting before the trip if any relevant info comes up.

That's cool, do you have a specific role, or is it more of an observe and assist type of deal? I'm actually going to Haiti Xmas break, not for medical reasons, but volunteering and education reasons.

That's cool, do you have a specific role, or is it more of an observe and assist type of deal? I'm actually going to Haiti Xmas break, not for medical reasons, but volunteering and education reasons.

Last time I went, I was in charge of anemia screenings, so I would test children, most women and elderly men for their Hb levels. Also, I assisted the dentist who came with us and sometimes helped out the pharmacy people.

This trip, I am not so sure what I am doing since we are not doing as much clinical work like last time. I will definitely be taking a ton of pictures, talking to as many patients and ES doctors I can. Other than that, I will find my role when I get there. Should be fun and interesting either way.

Congrats on Haiti! Sounds like a blast. I really wanted to volunteer and go there during the earthquake, but unfortunately I was not allowed by the parents :( My school offers a bunch of trips, so hopefully I will be going more places later this and next year!

Thanks, I can't wait, my parents went last year and loved it. As for your research topic, are you thinking more specific like % of minerals in the soil used for farming or the pH and bacteria of local rivers and lakes where one might get water and comparing it to the U.S, or more general like an analysis of common practices in El Salvador and how they may be detrimental to their health?

Edit: :hijacked:

Thanks, I can't wait, my parents went last year and loved it. As for your research topic, are you thinking more specific like % of minerals in the soil used for farming or the pH and bacteria of local rivers and lakes where one might get water and comparing it to the U.S, or more general like an analysis of common practices in El Salvador and how they may be detrimental to their health?

More public health related... Not so much environmental stuff, although, that would be interesting (but more for a long term trip). I may try and compare the data across the last few trips, and do something with anemia, as it seems to be a prominent issue with infants under 2 years old and the elderly. Still thinking... and failing :laugh:

Do you speak spanish? I'm not fluent per say, but I think I could function in a spanish speaking country.

Maybe you could cross reference the number of anemic patients with their location, then identify any factors that are common within each region that may contribute to the increased percentage of people with the disease?

Do you speak spanish? I'm not fluent per say, but I think I could function in a spanish speaking country.

Maybe you could cross reference the number of anemic patients with their location, then identify any factors that are common within each region that may contribute to the increased percentage of people with the disease?

I don't speak fluently, but I can have a decent conversation, and I just bought a medical spanish book from Amazon that should help me a little bit.

And yeah, something along those lines. Probably with diet and altitude.

I don't speak fluently, but I can have a decent conversation, and I just bought a medical spanish book from Amazon that should help me a little bit.

And yeah, something along those lines. Probably with diet and altitude.

Sounds pretty cool, I'd love to actually be fluent, my last spanish teacher kind of turned me off from ever taking spanish again though...

Are you planning on trying to publish your work if everything goes well?

Sounds pretty cool, I'd love to actually be fluent, my last spanish teacher kind of turned me off from ever taking spanish again though...

Are you planning on trying to publish your work if everything goes well?

Same. The foreign language department in my high school was horrendous. And, although unrealistic, I would keep doing research for an extended period of time and then eventually write a paper. I wouldn't be able to publish anything before doing some extensive work and obtaining a lot of data.

Same. The foreign language department in my high school was horrendous. And, although unrealistic, I would keep doing research for an extended period of time and then eventually write a paper. I wouldn't be able to publish anything before doing some extensive work and obtaining a lot of data.

I see, I'd like to start doing some solo research before going to college just for the experience, maybe I could try to do a very small scale thing in Haiti, I doubt I could though, since I know nothing about Haitian Creole, and it's mostly about visiting an orphanage and helping out/playing with the kids.