"Help a Budding Doctor and Save" - An Interesting Article from MSN.com

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ClassicalGuitar

Jesus-Light of the World
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
"Help a Budding Doctor and Save"

I saw this article on the main page of MSN.com today. I thought you all might find this interesting. Who knows, it may mean more patient influx into the clinics at all dental schools.

Check out where the writer of the article went for his clinical experience. ;)

God bless you all.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Insurance/InsureYourHealth/HelpABuddingDoctorAndSave.aspx

Members don't see this ad.

Good article.

How lucky to have "two extra bones" in her mouth...

Members don't see this ad :)
2 extra bones?? :confused:

maybe mandibular tori?? it's amazing how bizarrely patients can interpret what we tell them.

It was a really good article.

2 extra bones?? :confused:

maybe mandibular tori?? it's amazing how bizarrely patients can interpret what we tell them.

A lot of the times the patient's inability to interpret what we tell them has to do with the volume of information we give them.

15 appointments for an RCT and two crowns? :eek: At IUSD I'd plan on, at *most*, 3-4 appointments for a molar endo, #5 & #6 to prep the crowns, #7 to impress, #8 to deliver. If it's not a worst-case scenario (i.e. molar endo & crowning #2 & 15), you could trim another couple appointments.

Maybe IUSD's clinic rules aren't so insufferable after all.

15 appointments for an RCT and two crowns? :eek: At IUSD I'd plan on, at *most*, 3-4 appointments for a molar endo, #5 & #6 to prep the crowns, #7 to impress, #8 to deliver. If it's not a worst-case scenario (i.e. molar endo & crowning #2 & 15), you could trim another couple appointments.

15 appointments :eek: , but dont forget this is Tufts dental we're talking about. Now if she'd went down the street a lil ways it might not have taken so many appointments but the amount of time in terms of "hours, days, weeks" might have been similar (for other reasons we wont get into at the moment). But I agree with you 7-8 appointments max... But even with the reduced pricing, I still dont think any professional school makes more money from student productivity and tuition payments than dental schools.... Heck they should be paying us (the students) stipends...

1. Screening exam
2. Comprehensive exam
3. Treatment plan discussion
4. Perio appointment (hopefully just scale and polish)
5. Core build up on first tooth. (We have to complete all core buildups as if they were a definitive restoration before moving on to any fixed prosth)
6. Core build up on second tooth.
7. Access and pulpectomy for RCT.
8. Clean and shape for RCT.
9. Obturate for RCT.
10. Definitive restoration of endo treated tooth.
11. Phase complete and sequencing exam before moving on to fixed prosth.
12. Prep first crown and temporize.
13. Impress.
14. Seat first crown.
15. Prep second crown and temporize.
16. Impress.
17. Seat second crown.

In senior clinic you could combine some of these appointments, but the above scenario is entirely realistic for the Junior clinics. And my school wonders why they can't graduate a class on time.

1. Screening exam
2. Comprehensive exam
3. Treatment plan discussion
4. Perio appointment (hopefully just scale and polish)
5. Core build up on first tooth. (We have to complete all core buildups as if they were a definitive restoration before moving on to any fixed prosth)
6. Core build up on second tooth.
7. Access and pulpectomy for RCT.
8. Clean and shape for RCT.
9. Obturate for RCT.
10. Definitive restoration of endo treated tooth.
11. Phase complete and sequencing exam before moving on to fixed prosth.
12. Prep first crown and temporize.
13. Impress.
14. Seat first crown.
15. Prep second crown and temporize.
16. Impress.
17. Seat second crown.

In senior clinic you could combine some of these appointments, but the above scenario is entirely realistic for the Junior clinics. And my school wonders why they can't graduate a class on time.

wait a minute are you saying that seniors and juniors dont have the same level of clinical previledges.:scared: I guess we shouldnt be so noisy anymore about our situation. But still I'm sure each year every program finds some new and inventive way to prevent graduating the entire class on time.

Don't you remember your first couple months down in the clinic ? :D :D :D Took us that many appts for just some simple procedures.... Sweet memories..... :D :D :D