Help a freaking student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since the MCAT is so close, I am seriously starting to freak out. I know that my GPA is not great, and maybe (hopefully not, praying to GOD that it will be great!) my MCAT score might not be that great. Since all this adds against me as a med school applicant, I am considering DO school, now I don't consider DO school to be less than an MD school, I am not lowering my self to, hopefully, go to a DO school. My question after all this is can DO's do everything a MD does? ie surgery, becoming an opthalmologist? I am freaking out, maybe for nothing. But please answer these questions.

Members don't see this ad.

haha, calm down. But yes, everything a MD can do, a DO also can do.

WOW SDN is amazing, such fast responses, its amazing!

Members don't see this ad :)
in your case i would say dont study for the mcat the week before the test. sounds like you need to unwind a little bit, and your tension will hamper your ability to perform. a weeks worth of studying isnt going to have the same benefit a clear mind on the day of the exam will.

Originally posted by pnp366
Since the MCAT is so close, I am seriously starting to freak out. I know that my GPA is not great, and maybe (hopefully not, praying to GOD that it will be great!) my MCAT score might not be that great. Since all this adds against me as a med school applicant, I am considering DO school, now I don't consider DO school to be less than an MD school, I am not lowering my self to, hopefully, go to a DO school. My question after all this is can DO's do everything a MD does? ie surgery, becoming an opthalmologist? I am freaking out, maybe for nothing. But please answer these questions.

Yes, DO's can do everything an MD can.

I agree that you should take a break from studying for the MCAT. I stopped studying 2-3 days before.

Also dont get caught up in the "grandeur" of the MCAT. Its just a test. A really LONG test. But remember, it's just a multiple choice test.

If you're very nervous, that's normal. If you're REALLY FREAKIN' OUT, it's a good indicator that you may not have prepared yourself that well for the test. A lot of the people that i talked to that dived into the MCAT with a semi-confident attitude, studied thoroughly (many, many 8 hour mock tests), and did well. You can test your progress with the AAMC sample tests. I think all standardized tests have that psycological aspect to them.

The question is how well have you been doing on the practice tests? This should tell you whether your anxieties are misplaced or not....If you are still geting a 20 on the practice tests, it will be a good thing to cancel now, and study more intensively for the August MCATs. It's more important to do this right, given your reported weakness in the GPA area than to mess this up and have it permanently on your records

My question after all this is can DO's do everything a MD does?
The correct answer to this question is that DOs can do everything MDs can do and more. That is, DOs learn manipulation while MDs don't.:p

Just chill. Sounds like you studied a lot.

I didn't start studying for the mcats till 5 days before the test and it cost me. NYC blackout lol for 3 of the 5 days.

I studied till 4 am the day before the exam and actually fell asleep during physical sciences...

Chill out dude!!! A sound mind will help you a LOT more than that little extra bit of info. Don't worry too, worrying isn't productive.

Good luck! :clap:

My question after all this is can DO's do everything a MD does?

Yes, DO's CAN do everything an MD can, BUT as my friend who has applied to DO schools told me, they really push you to primary care. So even though you can go into various specialties, the enviorenment at DO schools will push you toward primary care. If you really want to go into a specialty then DO schools might not be right for you.

My advice: do everything you can to make your day perfect. Whatever will make you happy and ready to take the test.

Instead of studying the night before, I made 3 CDs... one for breakfast, one for the drive down, and one for the lunch period. From pounding happy hardcore to inspiring classical, I was singing like an idiot all morning or calming myself with the music. I made a lunch with my fav foods. I drove the nice family car. I didn't talk to any of the other people freaking out before the test, I sat on another floor and read through my cram sheets once, no stress.

Yeah, it's hard, it's long. But you'll do fine, and if you don't hold on too tight, you'll do great.

Originally posted by Fumoffu
Just chill. Sounds like you studied a lot.

I didn't start studying for the mcats till 5 days before the test and it cost me. NYC blackout lol for 3 of the 5 days.

I studied till 4 am the day before the exam and actually fell asleep during physical sciences...

Chill out dude!!! A sound mind will help you a LOT more than that little extra bit of info. Don't worry too, worrying isn't productive.

Good luck! :clap:

LOL...wow, you had one unique experience of MCAT!! stayed up till 4 and fell sleep during physical sciences...:laugh: :laugh: I thought my friend who partied the night before and got to the test half-hungover was bad......never mind!