Help, Acceptance is almost revoked

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cavityattack

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am really stressed out and really need help
I am a Canadian that is accepted at a US dental school
I had 2 semester of physics during my first year
Even though each course has 3 hours of lecture/week and 3 hours lab/ week
My university only gives out 3 credits/course (many Canadian universities do that)
In total, i have 6 credits
My dental school just informed me that i will need 8 credits to fulfill the requirements
I explained the situation to them, they suggested I should take a 2 credit lab course.
I don't know where to find this kind of course in Canada..
All the second year physics courses are reserved for engineer majors
I am running out of options
please advice me what to do..I feel like crying, but i have no tears left...

Members don't see this ad.

What about coming to the states and taking a course during the summer? A 2 credit hour lab would be offered at many universities!!

can you go to the undergrad of your future dental school and take it?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am really not too familiar with the US universities
right now, I would go anywhere
would anyone give me names of some universities that would provide such courses?
I will really really appreciate your help

i really don't want to mention the name of the school
Not sure if they will be happy if they find out about this

hmmmmm sounds really weird that the school wouldnt be willing to work with you on this or at least be somewhat flexible, especially since its physics and your school only offers 3 credits but as stated by other people, I would try to exercise every option available to you at this point. Take it anywhere you can take it. I would also strongly suggest writing the dean of the school and explaining your situation. If you spoke with an admissions officer, they might not be as willing to make any exceptions because they dont have the authority. I find it hard to believe they wont bend on this but good luck.

i really don't want to mention the name of the school
Not sure if they will be happy if they find out about this

I would say go with the undergrad of your future dental school as well. Verify with them the course and enroll as a non-student to take the required course in summer. If it's a quarter school, they could offer a 5-week session (usually starts in late June); or in semester school, they could offer a 8-week session (usually starts early June). I would definitely start looking around because it's coming up fast. Or, how about online program/long distance program; do you think they will accept them?

hmmmmm sounds really weird that the school wouldnt be willing to work with you on this or at least be somewhat flexible, especially since its physics and your school only offers 3 credits but as stated by other people, I would try to exercise every option available to you at this point. Take it anywhere you can take it. I would also strongly suggest writing the dean of the school and explaining your situation. If you spoke with an admissions officer, they might not be as willing to make any exceptions because they dont have the authority. I find it hard to believe they wont bend on this but good luck.

Is it true though d-school cannot tweak the admission requirements because it is set forth by the ADA?

Is it true though d-school cannot tweak the admission requirements because it is set forth by the ADA?

There is almost always flexing on the requirements with each class and most dental school requirement pages have clauses on them because most recognize that all universities are different in the way they title their courses and the way they distribute credits.

I also talked to the other school that i am currently waitlisted
They told me they are perfectly ok with my physics
I am just really having a hard time finding 2 credits lab course
my "future dental school" does not offer it during summer
I have to finish this before dental school begins...

Better get busy.

Members don't see this ad :)

Lol.....nice cover name! I know exactly what you're dealing with now and you are really in a tight spot because of the early start of classes. Since it is so late in the semester, I dont know what they expect you to do. I'm sure they dont want to revoke your acceptance because you are missing 2 measly physics credits. I would go straight to the top with this issue. Contact the director or dean.

Since you only need 2 credits, you could take either 1) probably 1 semester of lecture again or 2) maybe a lab, but I only know if 1 credit physics labs (though I bet there are 2 credit ones out there). I'd go for the lecture one myself. I'd try to take 1 semester of algebra-based physics.

Call the school and ask about community college.

If you can take the class at a community college, then you should be able to either take the first semester of algebra-based physics (for a price of course). I'd bet you could take this online. If you can't take it at a community college, then go to your neighboring Canadian college and take a course there. Its gonna suck shelling out a grand or two to satisfy this credit, but its gotta be done.

But DON'T freak out. There is still three weeks to enroll in summer classes. Lots of kids don't decide to go to summer school til last minute. And since you'd only need one semester, you can get it done in 6-8 weeks, depending on the school, which should be enough time before D school starts.

Hey, I'm Canadian as well that was worried about the exact same problem. I went to the Arts & Science Undergraduate Office of my school and they provided me with a letter (they had a template because they get similar requests all the time). It explained that they credit all courses (even those with labs) 3 or 6 semester hours but in reality they should be considered as 4 or 8.

Hopefully the dental school that accepted you will be more understanding once you send this.

I will get that from my school as soon as possible
thank you all for your support and help
I really cannot thank you enough

My university only gives out 3 credits/course (many Canadian universities do that)
My dental school just informed me that i will need 8 credits to fulfill the requirements
I explained the situation to them, they suggested I should take a 2 credit lab course.

Do you not have community colleges in canada? If you do, call up your school and see if they will accept those 2 credits from a comm college.

If worst comes to worst, I think most dental schools start in july/august... come to USA in May and take a physics summer course (they only last 6 weeks usually)

OP call them up and ask if they will accept credits from an online course. My friend just retook Orgo through an online course, and in your situation you wouldn't have to move.

where are u from Canada? Im from BC. I go to simon fraser university (SFU). I took a lab course (2 credits) last semester. Its called Phys 102 - Physics for Life Sciences Lab.

- hope this helps.

I am from BC too
do you know sfu offers that course during summer? I checked..doesn't seem to
could you double check for me just in case
I found out that Thompson river university offer 2 credit lab course
I just need to be there in 10 days
Not sure my school will approve of that
thank you so much

yes they do offer it in the summer. & its called phys 130.

wouldnt you have lab work that u could mail them? in both the labs, i had a booklet with about 10-12 labs that we had to do over the course of time. like someone had mentioned earlier, write to the dean and also tell him you can send him your lab work as proof that you did everything.
i mean, its worth a shot. if it works out, u wouldnt have to worry about all of this before school starting.
good luck :)

So you have already taken physics with the lab component but it says 3 credits instead of 4...Why don't you try getting an official letter from the physics department of the university where u took physics that says that the course includes lab? its not the credits they really care abt...it's the fact that you took lab...I feel like I have heard of this happening before n the person just provided an official letter from the school n it was taken care of. Try it...its definitely better than taking the lab component over again! Good Luck!!:thumbup::thumbup:

Just take some bogus physics class at a junior college or community college. Ask the dental school if you can retake the same physics with more credits and then have them look at that to fulfill the requirment.

So basically look for a 5 unit class somewhere. Most lectures + labs are 5 units

Last edited:
OP call them up and ask if they will accept credits from an online course. My friend just retook Orgo through an online course, and in your situation you wouldn't have to move.

hey cmcner, do you know where we could sign up for these online courses?

A lot of schools do it. University of Phoenix is the big online university, but my friend didn't use that one. I'll try to remember to ask him which one he used tomorrow.

Update: My friend said they took their online class at Oregon State.

Last edited:
A lot of schools do it. University of Phoenix is the big online university, but my friend didn't use that one. I'll try to remember to ask him which one he used tomorrow.

thank you.

There is almost always flexing on the requirements with each class and most dental school requirement pages have clauses on them because most recognize that all universities are different in the way they title their courses and the way they distribute credits.

As I have experienced with schools recalculating the credits due to quarter/semester difference I had to retake english classes. This was a bummer for me two years ago. I also know that you can not re-take the same class. So if in Canada your course was algebra based physics you can not take the same course in the States to increase your credit amount. I would suggest what another poster said in getting a letter from the school stating that your 6 credits are considered 8 etc. If that does not fly find a quarter based system and take maybe the 3rd quarter....any of the UC System schools would suffice and or a school like Northwestern (this is a more expensive option). I'm sure there are many more options. You could just go to any school and take the claculus based or algebra based (which ever you did not take) and take the first class.

Here is a link that might help you:

http://www.scs.northwestern.edu/pdp/cpdp/health/courses.cfm

I'm in AZ and their community colleges also have online classes...easy to get into.

Search Maricopa Community College

Hey guys
thanks for all the help
"my future dental school" would not back down despite the letter from my school
They still insist on 8 credits of physics
The good thing is, they allowed me to take a 5 credit first year physics course to compensate for the missing credits :)
Everything should be ok now
Thanks again

hey cavity...its weird that they're sticking onto 8 semester hour requirement even though that is what our courses are...i assumed that most US schools that Canadians applied to knew the conversion difference but now this worries me..when i apply, should i put my full yr courses with lab (from uoft) as 8 semester hrs on AADSAS then?

hey cavity...its weird that they're sticking onto 8 semester hour requirement even though that is what our courses are...i assumed that most US schools that Canadians applied to knew the conversion difference but now this worries me..when i apply, should i put my full yr courses with lab (from uoft) as 8 semester hrs on AADSAS then?

wouldn't that be lying if it's only worth 6 credits? i think aadsas will pick up on the discrepancy

i think most canadian friendly schools understand that the credit system is slightly different in canada and don't seem to mind as long as you have a full year's worth of the pre-req w/ lab.

BU doesn't mind.

Call the school when you're applying to make sure.
this way, you can plan ahead to take extra required credits if you need to

yeah, most schools are good with that
mine is a weird exception
most private schools, such as BU, NYU, Nova are okay with it

dont worry! a lot of people need to finish up pre-requisite courses before matriculation. usually all you need is a C in these classes, and since you've already been accepted, who cares if you dont get an A or B. Why don't look for a physics class at a community college? These credits are almost always accepted at major univeristies. I've personally never heard of a 2 credit hour physics class, but even if it's five hours, just take it and get a C minimum and then you're good to go.

good luck!

What about coming to the states and taking a course during the summer? A 2 credit hour lab would be offered at many universities!!
This would definately be your best choice. Or talk to the director of the class and see if he can help you explaining your situation. You can also try talking to the dean of your school and see if he can get you in explaining your situation