Help!!!! Advice concerning drops in NBME scores.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocKat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

I really need some advice because I am feeling a little lost and desperate...I took NBME#2 10 days after I started fulltime studying and got a 230 and I was very happy because at that point I was 5 weeks out from the test.

I have been working my a** off for the past two weeks and just took NBME #3 today and my score dropped to a 216. I am only three weeks out from the test and I am really really confused...why did my score drop 14 points after 2 weeks of hardcore/full time studying?

During these two weeks, I have shown significant improvements in my USMLE World scores (from average around 55 to 65%) and have devoted my energy towards meorizing FA. if my World score can has improved 10%, why did my NBME scores drop so much? Please help me as I am very desperate and do not know what I should do. Is there something wrong with the way I am studying?

Members don't see this ad.

Just off the cuff, I'd say that the general trend here is that NBME 3 is tougher than 2, and may be the toughest one of them all. Trust the improvement in World, keep studying and try taking NBME #4 (heard by some that that's a better predictor of scores). Gl.

Just keep up the hardwork and try to stay as emotional unattached to the scores as possible because in the end there is no true predictor of the test. Although I do feel taking the NBMEs are worthwhile, I think enough variation exists that you shouldn't feel bad about dropping a couple points.