Help, advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alex Jamison

Mahmud Abdallah
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I just joined and I have read a lot of positive and negative reviews here.
My concern was this.
I have a current 3.65 GPA and 330 AA and 310 TS on the OAT.
For all the schools I applied to, I have all A's except 3 B's for the pre-requsite courses. I have currently 11 interviews, but I have a concern. I graduated last week from undergrad with a BS but I might not receive my diploma because I might get a D on a biology course. It is the worst course I have taken. It is not required or even recommended and I have lots of shadowing experience and extracurricular activity, research experience, good GPA and OAT (hopefully). I just wanted to know how would this D effect me if I get it?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't be too concerned. I don't think 1 D is a make or break moment of you getting it. You have a really good GPA and a competitive OAT score and that says a lot. I had 1 W in undergrad and I was very fortunate enough to receive a lot of interviews, let alone be accepted to optometry school. Just be prepared to answer as to why you got that grade in your interviews and try to make an excuse unless its a very reasonable excuse. The fact that you received 11 interviews shows that there are schools out there that are really interested in you. But you would have to make sure whether or not you can still receive your diploma because some schools may require a bachelor's degree (like berkeley) but others do not. Can you retake the course over in the spring or summer?

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't be too concerned. I don't think 1 D is a make or break moment of you getting it. You have a really good GPA and a competitive OAT score and that says a lot. I had 1 W in undergrad and I was very fortunate enough to receive a lot of interviews, let alone be accepted to optometry school. Just be prepared to answer as to why you got that grade in your interviews and try to make an excuse unless its a very reasonable excuse. The fact that you received 11 interviews shows that there are schools out there that are really interested in you. But you would have to make sure whether or not you can still receive your diploma because some schools may require a bachelor's degree (like berkeley) but others do not. Can you retake the course over in the spring or summer?

Thanks for your reply! My current transcript has 2 W's (but I have very legitamte reasons as to why I have them) and one C in O-chem 2. But I did get a 340 on the OAT in Organic. I know the schools recommend a bachelors degree but do not require it. I would retake the course but I did not expect to receive this grade, by the time it struck me classes were full and unfortunately it is not offered in the summer. It really demoralized me, but I hope the fact that my transcript is all A's and B's (way more A's) and I only have 1 C, and potentially 1 D that I am not doomed. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your reply! My current transcript has 2 W's (but I have very legitamte reasons as to why I have them) and one C in O-chem 2. But I did get a 340 on the OAT in Organic. I know the schools recommend a bachelors degree but do not require it. I would retake the course but I did not expect to receive this grade, by the time it struck me classes were full and unfortunately it is not offered in the summer. It really demoralized me, but I hope the fact that my transcript is all A's and B's (way more A's) and I only have 1 C, and potentially 1 D that I am not doomed. What do you think?

Don't worry about the W's on your transcript as long as you have good reasons for withdrawing. I have 3 W's in one term due to health issues, and when I brought it up at the interviews I've been to so far, they haven't been concerned.

Hey guys. I just joined and I have read a lot of positive and negative reviews here.
My concern was this.
I have a current 3.65 GPA and 330 AA and 310 TS on the OAT.
For all the schools I applied to, I have all A's except 3 B's for the pre-requsite courses. I have currently 11 interviews, but I have a concern. I graduated last week from undergrad with a BS but I might not receive my diploma because I might get a D on a biology course. It is the worst course I have taken. It is not required or even recommended and I have lots of shadowing experience and extracurricular activity, research experience, good GPA and OAT (hopefully). I just wanted to know how would this D effect me if I get it?

If you're wondering how the D would affect your ability to get into optometry school, I think it would have little to no effect at all. Your other qualifications seem quite good. I'm curious/confused though, if the biology course is not required or recommended, why would it impact the reception of your diploma?

I believe OP needs this Biology course for their bachelor's degree, but this biology course is not needed as a Optometry school prerequisite.

I know someone who got a D in a physiology class and they got into two schools. I wouldn't worry too much. Just have a good explanation for it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

I'm not sure if everyone understood what you said originally about possibly not receiving your degree. I think you may want to worry a little about that, and ask specific schools for information. It could be that they don't really care, but many schools do require a bachelor's degree prior to matriculation. I don't think anything else you mentioned would be an issue.

I agree with EyeCaptain. Getting a D will not make or break your application but not having a degree definitely will. Most schools specifically state that a bachelor's degree is required. Although I have heard of a few that will accept students who will not have completing their degree prior to matriculation. It would be smart to check the school's websites or even to contact the school directly and ask. It never hurts to ask. Some collages consider a "D" a passing grade so maybe you'll still get your diploma at the end of it all and worried for no reason! Best of Luck to you! =D

I haven't been on here in a while I'm sorry for not reply to everyone!
I got a D in a course that is required to pass in order to receive a degree, however, I spoke to the head of the department and they still let me graduate (I got my degree 2 days ago in the mail) =)
I also got accepted into 3 Optometry schools out of the 4 I interviewed at. So everything turned out OK. Thank you everyone for your kind responses, and sorry again for not replying sooner!