Help/Advice on applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paradyme

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What would you do if you were me? I will be applying for the '08 cycle coming up in a few months I have everything together I just really really need advice on what to do as far as improving my application and possibly retaking mcat, any help is greatly appreciated.

My Stats
3.6 GPA, with pretty much straight a's last 3 semesters, Science GPA is a lil higher.
80 hours clinical experience, volunteering in ER. ICU, shadowing child neurologist.
Racquetball club -Wow, stellar on an app I know.
Several different kinds of work experience, ie: waiter.
Quality LOR's
Asthma research at school, currently in 2nd semester, will continue for 8 more months and consider honors thesis.
*32M Mcat, heres the problem im worried about, 13BS 11PS *8VR M, I think this 8 might be trouble.

I am positive I can get a 10 in VR, POSITIVE, I might lose that 13 though, anyway I dont want to wait until next march to get rejected and then decide to retake MCAT, I wanna try to get an idea if I should just retake now to have it ready for the 09 application cycle if I dont get in. Does anybody feel one way or the other about my stats and If i'll have a chance. I live in Colorado and would love to stay instate if possible.

Please be stone cold honest with me if you have an opinion, I'd really like to know, I've asked my premed advisors and it's easier to pull teeth than get a straight answer out of them.

Members don't see this ad.

i dont know what state school colorado has, but i'm sure you have a pretty good shot at it.

Thanks Docfunk, any other takers?

Members don't see this ad :)
A 32 is nothing to sneeze at, but that 8 *might* give you some trouble. Your app seems pretty solid, so I wouldn't retake, but focus on that thesis, which will help show you have higher level communication and comprehension skills.

That said, I would take a couple practice tests (if you haven't used them all already) to see how it goes. A 13 to a 12 on BS is probably no biggie, especially if VR goes up 2-3 pts. However, I would only do it if I were getting consistent 10s in VR and no real slippage in the others.

The other thing I would take into consideration is what type of test you took: computer or paper. I prepped for paper the first time, and feel it would take me AGES to get ready for computer (probably not really, but it would scare me).

So, after all my rambling, I guess I'd say it's a time management issue. If you have the time to spend getting VR score up (for sure) do it, but if your other stuff will slip because of more MCAT prep, then hope for the best, and wow them with the rest of your app.

Just my opinion...

What would you do if you were me? I will be applying for the '08 cycle coming up in a few months I have everything together I just really really need advice on what to do as far as improving my application and possibly retaking mcat, any help is greatly appreciated.

My Stats
3.6 GPA, with pretty much straight a's last 3 semesters, Science GPA is a lil higher.
80 hours clinical experience, volunteering in ER. ICU, shadowing child neurologist.
Racquetball club -Wow, stellar on an app I know.
Several different kinds of work experience, ie: waiter.
Quality LOR's
Asthma research at school, currently in 2nd semester, will continue for 8 more months and consider honors thesis.
*32M Mcat, heres the problem im worried about, 13BS 11PS *8VR M, I think this 8 might be trouble.

I am positive I can get a 10 in VR, POSITIVE, I might lose that 13 though, anyway I dont want to wait until next march to get rejected and then decide to retake MCAT, I wanna try to get an idea if I should just retake now to have it ready for the 09 application cycle if I dont get in. Does anybody feel one way or the other about my stats and If i'll have a chance. I live in Colorado and would love to stay instate if possible.

Please be stone cold honest with me if you have an opinion, I'd really like to know, I've asked my premed advisors and it's easier to pull teeth than get a straight answer out of them.

When you took practice full lengths, were you scoring better than a 32 or did you max out on the MCAT? I personally think I would stick with a 32 even with the 8 if there's a risk you could end up with a balanced 29

Colorado is a funky funky place. I was instate, no interview. I know someone with better stats than yours - no interview. I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket... lots of people apply to CU (and remember, as an in-state student you're competing against students from 5 other states too --- students from Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, and several other states are viewed as "in-state" because they have no med school of their own).

Bottom line: we can't give you odds. Go see the CU admissions folks - if you can get 'em to talk to you.

Good luck to you.