Help! Advise needed.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

celis29

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently graduated with a 3.81 GPA and sGPA of 3.66 in BS in molecular biology . I did research and presented at a regional conference. Have been involved in several community service activities/mission trips as well as clinical CS and physician shadowing. I graduated in December and I am currently working as a lab assistant. I am also from an underrepresented minority with disadvantaged student status. I didn't apply to medical schools because my science GPA is too low and I have not taken the MCAT. In a perfect world, would have liked to go to one of the top medical programs, yet I understand that my current profile is not be the most impressive. I applied to Duke for a masters of biomedical sciences and got accepted. I felt that the program will give me the preparation and boost that I need to get accepted into a more competitive medical program. However , I got my FA and for a year it will be $75k worth of loans.

My question is ... will doing this program be worth the money ? Will it be worth it to be in one of top research and medical programs in the country ? I will be taking classes within the medical school , will have the opportunity to do a research project, become an EMT, and be advised by the medical school faculty. On top of that , they mentioned that students from the program have been accepted into duke medical school after the gap year that is recommended following graduation from the program. The faculty also writes a letter of recommendation on your behalf .

Or is it possible that I can take the MCat in late July and apply to less competitive programs , both MD and DO and receive acceptances? I already have my letter package with outstanding recommendations . I am not sure on what will be the right thing to do! Because I have a job, could save money, and I am somehow confident that I can PROBABLY get accepted to at least one medical school in my state.

If it was you, what will you do ? I just want to get different perspectives ... I really do not know which route to take.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Your sGPA is pretty good! You should take the MCAT (not before you're ready though), then apply early next season. You'll save so much money by getting into a better school by applying early!

I wouldn't do the MSc program. I don't really think you need to boost your academic aspect. What you need to be competitive is a great MCAT, and good ECs (volunteer, shadowing). And since you have a year, keep your job and bring in some money, and don't get distracted by the things that won't make a big difference.

Reactions: 1 user