Help an old person out...

Started by Nemo777
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Nemo777

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay youngsters I have a question, but first here's a little of my background: I'm 32, married with no children and currently in school to become a teacher. I have about 60 hours completed. I'm thinking of going to school to become a pharmacist but I'm old and it's been a few years since I've taken math classes. I always did well in algebra and trig about 15 years ago :laugh: in high school and I love science. I'm going to start at elementary algebra and work my way up. I'm scared and nervous. Please help an old lady out! Are the pre-req very hard? I'm not afraid of hard work I up to the challenge but an old lady doesn't have much time to waste.
 
First off you are not old. Many others where much older than you starting pharmacy. Second if you are not scared of hard work you will be just fine.
 
Okay youngsters I have a question, but first here's a little of my background: I'm 32, married with no children and currently in school to become a teacher. I have about 60 hours completed. I'm thinking of going to school to become a pharmacist but I'm old and it's been a few years since I've taken math classes. I always did well in algebra and trig about 15 years ago :laugh: in high school and I love science. I'm going to start at elementary algebra and work my way up. I'm scared and nervous. Please help an old lady out! Are the pre-req very hard? I'm not afraid of hard work I up to the challenge but an old lady doesn't have much time to waste.

You are fine. I am going through the same process even though I am younger than you but does age really matter?

Here is another question to ask for yourself, is pharmacy what you want to do for the rest of your life?

Pharmacy may have good rewards to the job, but you got to remember that this is what you are going to do everyday. I would recommend you to work or volunteer or research in a pharmacy or hospital to see if you would like to be a pharmacist.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay youngsters I have a question, but first here's a little of my background: I'm 32, married with no children and currently in school to become a teacher. I have about 60 hours completed. I'm thinking of going to school to become a pharmacist but I'm old and it's been a few years since I've taken math classes. I always did well in algebra and trig about 15 years ago :laugh: in high school and I love science. I'm going to start at elementary algebra and work my way up. I'm scared and nervous. Please help an old lady out! Are the pre-req very hard? I'm not afraid of hard work I up to the challenge but an old lady doesn't have much time to waste.

First of all, 32 is not old at all!!!!!!!!

As for me, I am a single mom, 31 years old and have started my pre-reqs to become a pharmacist.....Yes, it's going to be alot of hard work sacrifice, but you're at the age to where you know exactly what you want to do....As for math, I had to start at the bottom, but that's okay, I'm going to work my way up to the top!!! I have a lady that's 43 years old in my class and she's going to be a pharmacist as well....Don't let your age be a factor....At first I was nervous about it because of my age, but when I saw the people in my class that were older than me, it made me feel at ease.....Don't worry, you will be fine, and in the end, you know it was well worth it🙂
 
PharmD321 I don't know what it is about your avatar, but it seems very intimidating. I like the guy, but its a scary pose:scared:
 
The pre-reqs are not difficult if you have your mind set on this profession. The material may be confusing at times, and you may have to labor at it for hours, but if you always maintain the goal at the back of your mind you will easily get through it 🙂
Good luck to you!!!
 
Okay youngsters I have a question, but first here's a little of my background: I'm 32, married with no children and currently in school to become a teacher. I have about 60 hours completed. I'm thinking of going to school to become a pharmacist but I'm old and it's been a few years since I've taken math classes. I always did well in algebra and trig about 15 years ago :laugh: in high school and I love science. I'm going to start at elementary algebra and work my way up. I'm scared and nervous. Please help an old lady out! Are the pre-req very hard? I'm not afraid of hard work I up to the challenge but an old lady doesn't have much time to waste.

Wow...for a 32 year old.. you've really aged (according to your avatar)

32 isn't that old. I had many people in 30's and 40's in my class. The oldest guy was in his 60's when he finished.
 
I do think I would like being a pharmacist everyday. I'm currently trying to find out what I need to do to become a pharmacy tech.
 
Wow...for a 32 year old.. you've really aged (according to your avatar)

32 isn't that old. I had many people in 30's and 40's in my class. The oldest guy was in his 60's when he finished.

It's a hard knock life, what can I say:laugh::laugh:. I'm really glad to hear there will be some old heads in class with me! That' makes me feel loved. 😍
 
Okay youngsters I have a question, but first here's a little of my background: I'm 32, married with no children and currently in school to become a teacher. I have about 60 hours completed. I'm thinking of going to school to become a pharmacist but I'm old and it's been a few years since I've taken math classes. I always did well in algebra and trig about 15 years ago :laugh: in high school and I love science. I'm going to start at elementary algebra and work my way up. I'm scared and nervous. Please help an old lady out! Are the pre-req very hard? I'm not afraid of hard work I up to the challenge but an old lady doesn't have much time to waste.


I say go for it. Some of the best students I have known have been past 30. They already did something else in life and this is their second career. They tend to take it much more serious.

If math is the only thing holding you back then you are doing better than alot of people.
 
LOL!! Dude why did you change your quote? I totally saw what you said before! It was a nice thing to say!

Anyways, since that quote doesn't matter anymore, I am going to change my avatar soon. That picture is actually obama, surprised?


Did you actually think we didn't know that was Obama??
 
The pre-reqs are not difficult if you have your mind set on this profession. The material may be confusing at times, and you may have to labor at it for hours, but if you always maintain the goal at the back of your mind you will easily get through it 🙂
Good luck to you!!!

I bought some of the "books for dummies" chemistry, calculus and what not and it doesn't seem THAT bad (doesn't seem that good either but...), but I know that "dummie" book is just scratching the surface. I plan on taking an elementary algebra course and a biology class in the spring while I continue to go online to earn my teaching degree. If I do well in my classes, I'll drop the online course work like a hot potatoe and forge ahead. 🙂
 
I do think I would like being a pharmacist everyday. I'm currently trying to find out what I need to do to become a pharmacy tech.

It depends on where you live. In Colorado, I know that you don't need anything to be a pharm tech. Even though I am certified, I can't find a job here!

Some other places, like California, requires a bunch of things like license, registration, and certification.
 
Just to emphasize what the others have already said,32 is no where near old.......If pharmacy is what you really want,go for it,don't even think about your age. I wouldn't say the pre-reqs are easy, but if you are ready to work, you will be just fine.
All the best!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You'll be fine, if you really want it.

I just turned 30 and I hope to begin pharmacy school next year. When I graduate I will be 34. Its never too late!
 
You'll be fine, if you really want it.

I just turned 30 and I hope to begin pharmacy school next year. When I graduate I will be 34. Its never too late!


I really want it! I will work my behind off to get it! I don't have children yet and I want them in a few years, but I'll delay it until my late 30's if I have to. I really want to raise my own child (no daycare nothing against anyone) and have a flexible schedule. I've always been intrigued by healthcare and I even considered nursing, but pharmacy is great because I don't have a strong stomach. Nursing would mess me up! Yuck!
 
I say go for it. Some of the best students I have known have been past 30. They already did something else in life and this is their second career. They tend to take it much more serious.

If math is the only thing holding you back then you are doing better than alot of people.


Please elaborate. 🙂
 
[/b]

Please elaborate. 🙂


From my experience, many students I went to school with that wanted to go into pharmacy (or medicine or denistry, etc.) struggled with the basics of chemistry and biology as well. I never knew how some of them would make it through the tougher pre-reqs. They weren't hard workers either.

Just going off of what you posted, if you are solid in the fundamentals of chem and bio and all that, then having to study a little more for math shouldn't be a problem.

If you are dedicated and study hard you should be fine.
 
From my experience, many students I went to school with that wanted to go into pharmacy (or medicine or denistry, etc.) struggled with the basics of chemistry and biology as well. I never knew how some of them would make it through the tougher pre-reqs. They weren't hard workers either.

Just going off of what you posted, if you are solid in the fundamentals of chem and bio and all that, then having to study a little more for math shouldn't be a problem.

If you are dedicated and study hard you should be fine.

Oh, I won't say I'm solid in the fundamentals of chem and bio. I'm scared of those classes too :scared:, but I'm very interested in those courses. I'm hoping my interest will override my fear. I love to study, love to read and science is intriguing. I just hope I can grasp all of the difficult concepts. I won't know till I try though.
 
Oh, I won't say I'm solid in the fundamentals of chem and bio. I'm scared of those classes too :scared:, but I'm very interested in those courses. I'm hoping my interest will override my fear. I love to study, love to read and science is intriguing. I just hope I can grasp all of the difficult concepts. I won't know till I try though.


That's exactly right. Start taking the pre-reqs and see how you do. From the looks of it anyways, it sounds as if you are tired of whatever career you are in now, so if you are looking for change pharmacy is definitely a good choice. Research the profession and start working in the field and I'm sure you will fall in love with it even more. 🙂
 
That's exactly right. Start taking the pre-reqs and see how you do. From the looks of it anyways, it sounds as if you are tired of whatever career you are in now, so if you are looking for change pharmacy is definitely a good choice. Research the profession and start working in the field and I'm sure you will fall in love with it even more. 🙂

Tired ain't even the word. 🙁 I'm so burnt out on dead end office jobs it's not even funny. I finally put my foot down and said no more! I need to be liberated from this work life of misery. One thing about getting older is you realize the years fly by. Ten years ago 32 seemed so far away, but now I know 10 years feels like 3...lol. I want to be in charge of my future but enjoy my work. My mom suggested I become a dental hygienist if I wanted to get done quickly, and I considered it, but my heart just isn't in it. I thought about nursing about 8 years ago even ordered all of the school's information about their program, but I thought I was too old, go figure🙄.
 
Tired ain't even the word. 🙁 I'm so burnt out on dead end office jobs it's not even funny. I finally put my foot down and said no more! I need to be liberated from this work life of misery. One thing about getting older is you realize the years fly by. Ten years ago 32 seemed so far away, but now I know 10 years feels like 3...lol. I want to be in charge of my future but enjoy my work. My mom suggested I become a dental hygienist if I wanted to get done quickly, and I considered it, but my heart just isn't in it. I thought about nursing about 8 years ago even ordered all of the school's information about their program, but I thought I was too old, go figure🙄.

Never too old to try it out. Just think of all the 40-somethings that decide they want to go to medical school.
 
Never too old to try it out. Just think of all the 40-somethings that decide they want to go to medical school.


I never really thought about that. On the flip side, I just lost my 25 year old nephew suddenly to a heart attack last week. Life is too short to not take risks. In the famous words of Joyce Meyers: Do it afraid. I will do it afraid! It's very encouraging to see and hear of other people pursuing their dreams.
 
I think you should definitely forge ahead, as long as you know you really want to be a pharmacist. Have you ever worked in a pharmacy? Some people get bored w/it. Also, don't use online classes to decide if you should go back or not. Lab classes are so different.

I'm 36. 13 yrs ago I got a BS in hotel mgm't, and I've spent the past 10 years raising my daughters. I started going back last year - now I'm 1/2 way through my math/science prereqs. My advice to you is to find out what resources your school has. I do all my math in the library's math lab, so if I get stuck, a tutor comes over and helps you through. They can only spend a few minutes w/each student. Another section of the library has free tutors, who spend an hour w/you. I've utilized that for chemistry. Since all the material is on the PCAT, I know I have to understand and remember it. Not just get through it.

I agree w/the person that said that students in their 30's usually get all A's. Our focus is so different than the younger students. I've read in this forum that there's a big difference in competitiveness in having a 3.3 gpa than having a 3.7 gpa, so I know I have to put in the extra study time to get that A.

Find out which are the "better" teachers. I had pre-calc last summer w/an amazing teacher. She broke down each topic step-by-step. Her philosphy was that it was "our" class - she was just there to help us. I now have a calc teacher that makes it so easy to understand. I hear from other students how awful their teachers are. Their profs say that "only 5 of you will end up getting A's..." I don't know why some professors are like that.

I also was surprised that no one treats me differently b/c I'm older. Actually, most students just assume I'm in my 20's. I'm included in study groups and other school events. And, the higher my classes get, the more older students there are. I don't feel old anymore!

Best of luck!
 
I think you should definitely forge ahead, as long as you know you really want to be a pharmacist. Have you ever worked in a pharmacy? Some people get bored w/it. Also, don't use online classes to decide if you should go back or not. Lab classes are so different.

I'm 36. 13 yrs ago I got a BS in hotel mgm't, and I've spent the past 10 years raising my daughters. I started going back last year - now I'm 1/2 way through my math/science prereqs. My advice to you is to find out what resources your school has. I do all my math in the library's math lab, so if I get stuck, a tutor comes over and helps you through. They can only spend a few minutes w/each student. Another section of the library has free tutors, who spend an hour w/you. I've utilized that for chemistry. Since all the material is on the PCAT, I know I have to understand and remember it. Not just get through it.

I agree w/the person that said that students in their 30's usually get all A's. Our focus is so different than the younger students. I've read in this forum that there's a big difference in competitiveness in having a 3.3 gpa than having a 3.7 gpa, so I know I have to put in the extra study time to get that A.

Find out which are the "better" teachers. I had pre-calc last summer w/an amazing teacher. She broke down each topic step-by-step. Her philosphy was that it was "our" class - she was just there to help us. I now have a calc teacher that makes it so easy to understand. I hear from other students how awful their teachers are. Their profs say that "only 5 of you will end up getting A's..." I don't know why some professors are like that.

I also was surprised that no one treats me differently b/c I'm older. Actually, most students just assume I'm in my 20's. I'm included in study groups and other school events. And, the higher my classes get, the more older students there are. I don't feel old anymore!

Best of luck!

Thanks so much!! Wow, those are great study tips!!! Thanks for your advice too about picking the best teachers. Like you, I don't want to "get by" I want to really understand the concepts behind my work. I've been going to school online the last year but I *really* miss the classes I did in an actual classroom as opposed to a virtual one. You are right about older people getting better grades. I've gotten all A's in my last 6 classes. Out of 60 hours I only have one "C" from 5 years ago, I turned in work late, and haven't done it since then. I want A's and NOTHING less, not even an A-.

I haven't worked in a pharmacy but I've just submitted applications to Walgreens and CVS online to work as a Pharmacy Tech. I read that Walgreens will pay for national certification so I'll take them up on that if I get a job. I don't think I'll get bored being a pharmacist (I'm very introverted and a homebody, it's hard to bore me...lol), but I plan on finding out. 🙂 Again, thanks for your words of wisdom, I REALLY appreciate it!!!
 
Yeah definitely not old. My lab partner in Organic Chem was 42 and headed to medical school. I am 26 and I won't graduate pharmacy school until I'm 31-32...I was so nervous to go back to school too. Just remember that you really are a leg up in undergrad because there are a lot of young people in there that the professors have to hold their hand through the class - at least in the lower level classes. Once you get going you will realize you can definitely do this as long as you work hard! www.ratemyprofessors.com is where you can find which professors are good.

Good luck! You will do great! I LOVE my job at the pharmacy. I only work there 2 weekends a month but I am hoping something full time opens up so I can get out of this cubical!! I really enjoy filling meds and making compounds. I work in a hospital. 🙂 👍