HELP - anyone who has received a deferment of matriculation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

suruhanu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got in to my first choice medical school, but I am considering deferring my admission (fall 2005) until next year (fall 2006) - due to a prior commitment. How did you go about requesting the deferment? Is it a common practice for medical schools to offer deferments? Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

suruhanu said:
I just got in to my first choice medical school, but I am considering deferring my admission (fall 2005) until next year (fall 2006) - due to a prior commitment. How did you go about requesting the deferment? Is it a common practice for medical schools to offer deferments? Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

i deferred my admission a few years back - i wrote a detailed letter documenting my reasons for requesting the deferment, and mailed it to the Dean for Student Affairs; send this to whomever at your school takes care of these issues. if you're not certain, dial the main office of the medical school and inquire as to the person who deals with this. i deferred b/c i was conducting biomedical research, and wanted to continue my work until our publications were complete. i didn't have a problem deferring, but am not certain how difficult it is at other institutions. a friend of mine attempted to defer at Brown to do a Fulbright, and was denied... so it really is dependant on the school.

You need to find out what your particular school has for their deferment policy. I deferred for a year and all I had to do was write and sign a statement that said something like "I wish to defer my enrollment for one year". I didn't have to give any reasons. I think a lot of places have deadlines for requesting. I know at my school if you request after the deadline you have to give reasons and they may still deny your request.