Help Anyone

Started by mist
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mist

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys,
I have just been accepted to PCOM Biomedical Science program as well as VCU Anatomy and Neurobiology program. I need some knowledgeable advice to which one to chose and why? I am from out of state for both of the programs.
Here are some of the things that I found out:
PCOM -you will get an automatic interview for DO program; tuition is roughly about 20 grand for a year. Take only evening classes which means theoretically more time to study. Provided that I do well better chance at getting into the DO program since the school is private and obviously makes no distinction between in state and out of state students.
VCU- State School means preference is given to in state students, classes are everyday, a larger pool of fellow classmates, Tuition around 18 grand for a year.

I guess my biggest concern is how much of financial aid will I be receiving at these schools if anyone know? How expensive is the living. I know I could do the research on my own but I am hoping to catch some experienced eyes to lead me.
I didn’t do so hot in undergrad for various reasons I have 3.2 overall with 3.4 BCPM and 27 MCAT but past is past. I want to do well in this one final push but I also want to go to a program with a little more assurance.
Please some helpful advice will greatly be appreciated
 
I guess my biggest concern is how much of financial aid will I be receiving at these schools if anyone know?

My advice is that this shouldn´t be your biggest concern. Your biggest concern should be which program has the best shot of getting you into medical school. I believe VCU sends the top 20% and I have no idea about PCOM. Only worry about financial aid if these rates are similar. The most expensive program is the one you have to pay back without a medical degree.

Second piece of advice, use this time before the SMP starts to break 30 on the MCAT if you can.