HELP: APPLY BEFORE OR AFTER SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

send_help_222

Reaction score
Hi!
I got into Tulane's MS in Physiology (not their official SMP but I also allowed to their MS in Anatomy which is the one that lets you take classes w med students) and I'm waiting to hear back from others.
My stats:
  1. GPA: 3.8
  2. MCAT: 516
  3. 1 1st author publication and some experience with research at a well-regarded grad school (I'm not going to disclose) - only for summers
  4. working as a medical scribe - part-time, 20 hr/week
  5. lots of other non-medical ECs during college
  6. Applied 2021-2022 + 0 II's
    1. it could have been my writing or my med school list idk. either way, it came as a shock to me because I've always been told that I have a really strong application ://////
Disclaimer: a lot of people are going to say that I don't need an SMP because my GPA is fine. But I have circumstances that are pushing me toward the SMP route so pls respect that. HOWEVER, I still have my reservations about doing the SMP because I've only been a scribe for a year and I don't want it to look like I think, "oh I've done scribing for a year, time to move on to the next thing," like checkbox mentality...
ANYWAYYYYY, based on my stats, do you think I should reapply 2022-2023???? or should I wait until after I finish the SMP?
I'd love to hear your thoughts! I'm also open to discussion about continuing scribing vs doing the SMP. I'm feeling confused on how it would look if I did scribing for a year and then just........ did an SMP lmao.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!
I got into Tulane's MS in Physiology (not their official SMP but I also allowed to their MS in Anatomy which is the one that lets you take classes w med students) and I'm waiting to hear back from others.
My stats:
  3. 1 1st author publication and some experience with research at a well-regarded grad school (I'm not going to disclose) - only for summers
    1. it could have been my writing or my med school list idk. either way, it came as a shock to me because I've always been told that I have a really strong application ://////
Disclaimer: a lot of people are going to say that I don't need an SMP because my GPA is fine. But I have circumstances that are pushing me toward the SMP route so pls respect that. HOWEVER, I still have my reservations about doing the SMP because I've only been a scribe for a year and I don't want it to look like I think, "oh I've done scribing for a year, time to move on to the next thing," like checkbox mentality...
ANYWAYYYYY, based on my stats, do you think I should reapply 2022-2023???? or should I wait until after I finish the SMP?
I'd love to hear your thoughts! I'm also open to discussion about continuing scribing vs doing the SMP. I'm feeling confused on how it would look if I did scribing for a year and then just........ did an SMP lmao.
" a lot of people are going to say that I don't need an SMP because my GPA is fine. But I have circumstances that are pushing me toward the SMP route so pls respect that."

I mean... you might want to tell us why you feel an SMP is necessary. We're all going to say that because it's the accurate thing to say lol.

Reactions: 5 users
Fully engage in the SMP and apply afterwards.

(edited to add my reasons):
From your post it seems like you don't have the heart to reapply again right now. Yes, your numbers are good but with no interviews this time I think it's good to refresh, get some time away and some new experiences, and come back with new perspectives for the 2023-2024 cycle.
Focusing on the SMP without the simultaneous worry of another application cycle will give you the best outcome for your SMP as well as time to think and plan. You may need to apply to different schools next time, and you didn't mention the timing of your application this year, but be sure to gear up for an early (May or June) submission next time. Please don't try to work at the same time as you are studying this SMP. A year of holding down the scribe job shows enough commitment.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
Hi!
My stats:
You can apply now...as long as you address what went wrong the first time. How many schools did you apply to? Any mediocre to bad LoRs that you're aware of? How much clinical experience do you have outside of scribing?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know you’re set on doing it anyway, but as someone who did a master’s to improve my app, I’m honestly very confused why you are wasting your time and money on a postbac masters…

Postbacs are mostly for people with weaker stats, particularly GPA, who need to demonstrate to medical schools that they are capable of handling rigorous coursework. Your stats are 100% not your issue. The MS has nothing to offer other than the risk of not doing great there, which will weaken your app. If you get a 4.0 it might help you a little, but certainly not enough to justify the direct and indirect (opportunity) costs. If you get below a 4.0, based on your current stats, I believe it only detracts from your app, personally.

Now that I’ve fulfilled my obligation to tell you I think you are making an extremely foolish move with your MS, I will say you should only apply after if you insist on doing it. If not, what was the point? Simply saying you’re starting an MS does absolutely nothing for your app. So, if you get in, you just wasted aforementioned time and money to do what?? Start learning about something you are going to learn about (and pay to do it) once more in medical school? So, you’re left with applying upon completion of the program, which entails 2 gap years.

If you’re worried about the strength of your app, you’re going about addressing it in the wrong fashion, unless there’s something you’re not telling us. The MS makes zero sense here. Perhaps a research year that allows you to get paid rather than pay, gain practical experience for your med school app and beyond, and strengthen your EC’s. Since your stats do not appear to be even the slightest issue, a failed cycle likely points to deficiencies elsewhere. An MS offers no improvement to your app outside of your stats really… based on the information provided, there are far better approaches for you, individually.

• Love
Hi!
My stats:
Kindly Enlighten us as to why you think you need a special master's program with such an excellent GPA.

Reactions: 1 user
I know you’re set on doing it anyway, but as someone who did a master’s to improve my app, I’m honestly very confused why you are wasting your time and money on a postbac masters…

Postbacs are mostly for people with weaker stats, particularly GPA, who need to demonstrate to medical schools that they are capable of handling rigorous coursework. Your stats are 100% not your issue. The MS has nothing to offer other than the risk of not doing great there, which will weaken your app. If you get a 4.0 it might help you a little, but certainly not enough to justify the direct and indirect (opportunity) costs. If you get below a 4.0, based on your current stats, I believe it only detracts from your app, personally.

Now that I’ve fulfilled my obligation to tell you I think you are making an extremely foolish move with your MS, I will say you should only apply after if you insist on doing it. If not, what was the point? Simply saying you’re starting an MS does absolutely nothing for your app. So, if you get in, you just wasted aforementioned time and money to do what?? Start learning about something you are going to learn about (and pay to do it) once more in medical school? So, you’re left with applying upon completion of the program, which entails 2 gap years.

If you’re worried about the strength of your app, you’re going about addressing it in the wrong fashion, unless there’s something you’re not telling us. The MS makes zero sense here. Perhaps a research year that allows you to get paid rather than pay, gain practical experience for your med school app and beyond, and strengthen your EC’s. Since your stats do not appear to be even the slightest issue, a failed cycle likely points to deficiencies elsewhere. An MS offers no improvement to your app outside of your stats really… based on the information provided, there are far better approaches for you, individually.
Kindly Enlighten us as to why you think you need a special master's program with such an excellent GPA.
I really love how he/she said "just respect this decision" like it's not a really major point of discussion haha.

Also, OP, of all your concerns on why not to do the SMP, quitting scribing after a year should absolutely not be one of them lol. No adcom is ever gonna think "damn, this person has no goals, just checkbox" when they see you did an SMP, they're just gonna wonder why the hell you did an SMP.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Unless you haven’t shared a comprehensive list of your ECs, I think it’s your lack of expected ECs that caused you not to receive interviews. And maybe your list or a combination of both. If you do a SMP one of two things will happen. You will do well and ADCOMS will question your judgement or you will do not so great and ADCOMS will question your judgement. And you still won’t have the expected ECs.

Unless you haven’t shared a comprehensive list of your ECs, I think it’s your lack of expected ECs that caused you not to receive interviews. And maybe your list or a combination of both. If you do a SMP one of two things will happen. You will do well and ADCOMS will question your judgement or you will do not so great and ADCOMS will question your judgement. And you still won’t have the expected ECs.
When I see an application to our SMP from a strong candidate, I write down, "why is this person applying here? They should apply to med school".

Then I accept the person, figuring, "it's your money"

Once they're in our program, I forget all about apps and we focus on getting that person into med school.

When I see an application to our SMP from a strong candidate, I write down, "why is this person applying here? They should apply to med school".

Then I accept the person, figuring, "it's your money"

Once they're in our program, I forget all about apps and we focus on getting that person into med school.
yea one of my friends did an SMP with a 3.8 GPA, because it was a linkage program with direct admit to GW med (no gap year needed). I can't think of any other situation where an SMP might be useful. Maybe if you got caught for plagiarism in your senior year? Don't really have time to redeem yourself at that point.

Since you didn't submit a WAMC, I will just answer your general question: you always apply AFTER you complete your master's/SMP unless there is a direct linkage to medical school admission that you qualify for. If you want a better analysis from us on why you failed at your 2022 application, fill out a template.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I did my SMP at Tulane. A few in my class applied while they were in the SMP and most after. Those that got in during likely would have gotten in to begin with given that at the time they were receiving interviews, their classes were not even graded yet. The SMP helps if you are interested in going to Tulane specifically (it's a secondary question if you went to their programs), but not a lot. As you mention, their only true pipeline is ACLP.

Most ADCOMs I feel will only look at your SMP for the purpose of grade repair or non-trad, but for you this is not an issue. I personally feel it will be more helpful for you address why you might have not had any luck before tossing away 30-50k on a physiology degree. Doing something more interesting or helpful or unique with your time is what I'd do with your grades and stats if I had to be in your shoes for purpose of admission.

Hi, I did an SMP at Tulane and I think I have a semi unique experience of applying during the SMP and the cycle after (I was WL and never accepted my first cycle). Like others here, I think your stats are fantastic and you likely dont need an SMP. I think in your case (granted with limited info), the best reason to do a SMP at X school is if you really want to go to X med school. With any school, networking and getting your name out there helps a lot (it did in my case). No matter what, provided you do well, I think the SMP will almost certainly improve your application anywhere.

Now, for the app timeline, while you can do it during your SMP, I dont recommend it. Something is bound to suffer. In my case, it was the application. You do not, for any reason, want your SMP grades to be what suffers. You may not realize it, but putting together a good med school app in a timely fashion is a lot of work. If I were you, I'd focus entirely on the SMP and scribing and once that is complete, focus on putting together a stellar app and having it submitting really early. You will be much happier, much less stressed, and both your grades and your app will benefit.

Best of luck to you! Can't recommend the Tulane SMPs enough. Really fantastic place.