Help Applying to Pharmacy Schools !!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greenx098

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I want to apply to pharmacy schools Im from NYC. Im applying next year June (at the end of my junior year) . My top two colleges I wish to go to was touro or liu for pharmacy. Is there any other colleges I should look into?? Please anything help is very much appreciated !!

-completed a 2 week accelerated research program at touro college of pharmacy
-volunteered 150 hours at a hospital as a pharmacy tech
-volunteered 50 hours as a high school college counselor
-I plan on doing research through touro college of pharmacy at a medical center(dont know if i should)

So I stil have BIO1 AND BIO2(retake i got a D), ORGO 1&2, ANATOMY 1&2, PHYSICS 1, MICROBIO, STATISTICS, AND BIOCHEM. My gpa is a 2.9 now, is it possible to at least raise it to a 3.4 by the time i start applying next year June?? i haven't taken the PCAT yet.

Thanks !!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
that's a long list of pre reqs, and not to be mean but if you got a D in gen bio I would suggest giving yourself more time to complete them. As far as gpa goes, its harder to bring up than down and how many credits you have complete will be the main factor.

having said that, yes it is possible.

agree with what 87asu said above.

Some thoughts: having seen situations like these like a million times, I would like to add that most students (pre-anything) seems to forget that academics should be their #1 priority. Doing well in school and getting high GPA are really hard, I know. But many seem to go extravagantly on EC while doing poorly in classes. That is a no no imho. Nobody would be impressed. Things like EC/volunteer/work experience/reserach etc are to show a student's well-roundedness, that the student excels not only in school but in other areas outsides of the classroom as well. You need to do well in school FIRST.

The most important concern for schools to consider admission, imho, is that they want to know whether the student can handle the hard and heavy coursework/load in their programs. They do not want to admit a student who has a high chance of flunking out. High GPA and good scores on standardized test would show off the student's academic ability and his/her high probability to do well academically in their programs. Other things like EC/volunteer/work experience/research, etc are usually icing on the cake/application, add-on things that separate students of the same GPA or standardized test scores for admission purposes.

setting priorities right for school admission should always mean putting academics first, i.e. #1 is high GPA, #2 is scoring high on standardized tests, #3 LORs, #4 EC/volunteering/work esperience, #5 research, etc. Yes you can do them all at the same time. However, if your academic performance suffers, you should cut off your time in other activities and refocus on academics.