HELP Applying to school with below overall GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

delacmic

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Need some help here. I was looking to apply to DPT programs this year but PTCAS has deemed my overall GPA to be a 2.84 when it was a 3.0 using a college calculator. My prerequesite GPA is a 3.58 and last 60 credits are at a 3.68. I wanted to know your guys take on this, will I still be considered when applying even though i meet 2/3 requirements?

Members don't see this ad.

There's schools that definitely look at your last 60 credits and have lower overall gpa minimums. Just do your research and retake pre-reqs if possible :)

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys,

Need some help here. I was looking to apply to DPT programs this year but PTCAS has deemed my overall GPA to be a 2.84 when it was a 3.0 using a college calculator. My prerequesite GPA is a 3.58 and last 60 credits are at a 3.68. I wanted to know your guys take on this, will I still be considered when applying even though i meet 2/3 requirements?
Do not apply to schools if you have not met their minimal requirements: they will just toss your application. You must meet minimal requirements to be considered.
If you are applying to schools that look at the last 60 units GPA only, do apply there since you have met their minimal requirements.
If you are applying to schools that require minimal GPA to be 2.8 only, do apply there since you have met their minimal requirements.

Reactions: 1 users
Reposting this response I wrote up to a similar thread a few days ago:

Hey! So I got into some competitive schools with a 2.98 cumulative (definitely less if you count classes taken twice). I graduated college in 2008 with a BA in English and a GPA of 2.54. 11 years later, took 51 prereq credits in 16 months at community colleges and got straight 4.0s. I had to get written in by a dean to take more credits than allowed during their summer semester, and then took all my sciences concurrently at different schools in two different counties while volunteering in two settings.

I got into all of the schools that I interviewed despite their minimums for GPA, with one of them being one of the top schools in the country. With that being said, I did have schools deny me even the chance to interview me (they received some pretty spirited e-mails from me haha). Bottom line is that your GPA can tell a deeper story, and some schools are willing to read into that story. Also, there are other differentiating characteristics besides your GPA: interview, volunteer experience, work experience, life experience, interests, essay, GRE. It's just a matter of conveying yourself the best way possible.

Reactions: 1 user