HELP! AUC in Sept. or wait for SGU in Jan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
"SGU is basically a US school. Consider it a US school in Grenada because it is. Case closed."

LOL,LOL,LOL, ROTFL. A fmg is a fmg is a fmg

Nothing wrong with being a FMG but please stop making silly comments.

Ha-ha, that sounds quite hysterical...FMG schools do not have their clinical rotations in US and UK. That is a big difference! You probably don't realize that. I have a friend who got into anesthesiology residency in US graduating from school in Siberia, Russia. Believe me, it took him two years to prepare for the USLME after graduating from school, and he said he learned quite a lot, compare to what he learned while in school. That is IMG, not FMG, which SGU, Ross, AUC and some other schools are!:laugh:

"SGU is basically a US school. Consider it a US school in Grenada because it is. Case closed."

LOL,LOL,LOL, ROTFL. A fmg is a fmg is a fmg

Nothing wrong with being a FMG but please stop making silly comments.

Members don't see this ad :)
SGU is starting to become as selective as a US school. From what I heard this incoming August class has an average GPA of 3.5 and MCAT of around 30.

SGU is starting to become as selective as a US school. From what I heard this incoming August class has an average GPA of 3.5 and MCAT of around 30.

That is what SGU wants you to believe.

guys...

I am pretty sure that was sarcastic...

I hope lol

No, I think s/he was serious. Poor, delusional soul...

I'm still LMFAO :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I'm an american FMG, and it just cracks me up when a foreign school think they are the ****. "The top four", "the best of the caribean". WHO VOTED FOR THIS? I have never met anybody who got the choice to go to a us med school and picked going to SGU, ROSS etc. Clinicals in the US are important not for what you do in the hospitals as a medical student, but because they complement a kick ass education in an american school. What is so important about the clinical experience in the US? All you do is WATCH and do little things.
I work in a nice US university hospital and I see med students everyday, they don't do much. They only get the labs, do h&p, follow the attendings and many times they are goffers (the same like in any other medschool). Tell me what procedures are the medstudents here allowed to perform that you can not perform in a foreign school?
The difference here is the well paid teachers, the infrastructure, the lifestyle, the concern for safety, the libraries, etc. An american doctor gets paid very well for teaching the med students, in other countries doctors see teaching as a part-time job is not their bread and butter. So if they have to pick btw. performing surgery (and getting paid well) or going to a university to teach students guess which one he will pick. In the US you learn and practice medicine the way it is supposed to be. In a poor country, you have three pair of gloves for the whole night, one mask for the whole semester.

I'm not knocking down "the top four", just be real. You guys are still a FMG for good or bad. At the beggining it was only SGU students that thought they were the ****, then the ROSS students came along, then it was SABA, etc. Stop the complex that you guys have with the US medstudents. They are not smarter than you, their education is better but they are not smarter than you.

He is smart, exceptionally smart and has a sense of humor....he doesn't mean for you to take eveything he says so seriously...get a grip!!:D

I'm still LMFAO :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I'm an american FMG, and it just cracks me up when a foreign school think they are the ****. "The top four", "the best of the caribean". WHO VOTED FOR THIS?

So much misinformation I don't even know where to begin. Nobody voted for the "top four"; they are referred to that simply because they are the only Caribbean schools you can get licensed in all 50 states.

I have never met anybody who got the choice to go to a us med school and picked going to SGU, ROSS etc.
Yeah, I agree on this one... everyone that goes to a caribbean school has a "story"

Clinicals in the US are important not for what you do in the hospitals as a medical student, but because they complement a kick ass education in an american school. What is so important about the clinical experience in the US? All you do is WATCH and do little things.

Clinicals were more than scut work where I rotated. Also, where I'm a resident clinicals for the med students there are more than scut work. You carried your own patients and were not bumped for any procedure unless it was major surgery or a life saving maneuver and you did not know how to do it. During my fourth year I inutbated, put in a chest tube, sutured, first assisted on a bunch of surgeries (yes I did more than retraction); the list goes on. No offense, but the hospital you work at is doing their medical students a big disservice.

I work in a nice US university hospital and I see med students everyday, they don't do much. They only get the labs, do h&p, follow the attendings and many times they are goffers (the same like in any other medschool). Tell me what procedures are the medstudents here allowed to perform that you can not perform in a foreign school?

The difference here is the well paid teachers, the infrastructure, the lifestyle, the concern for safety, the libraries, etc. An american doctor gets paid very well for teaching the med students, in other countries doctors see teaching as a part-time job is not their bread and butter. So if they have to pick btw. performing surgery (and getting paid well) or going to a university to teach students guess which one he will pick. In the US you learn and practice medicine the way it is supposed to be. In a poor country, you have three pair of gloves for the whole night, one mask for the whole semester.

Wait, I just realized that you think the clinical portion of medical school is in the Caribbean. You only do the classwork in the Caribbean. You rotate for third and fourth year at US or UK hospitals, so, at that point your education is the same as US students.

Also, few MD's teach basic sciences. Those are usually taught by PhD's. And in the US they have their research to worry about and teaching students is a BIG pain in the ass for most profs. Don't get me wrong there are those that love teaching, but most read to you a crappy powerpoint that they put together 10 minutes before the lecture.

At least at the Caribbean schools the profs are there to teach as there is not a whole lot of major research going on at Caribbean schools. Most profs are retired PhD's that want some fun in the sun and like teaching. I know at AUC there were some people from Duke, Maryland, Harvard, UNC-CH. I don't know about the other schools, but I would guess their professors have similar pedigrees.

As for MD's; going into academic medicine is usually a HUGE pay cut for US doctors. Sometimes as much as 1/2 of what they could earn in private practice. There are so many variables, but in general it does not "pay" to be a US MD teacher.

I'm not knocking down "the top four", just be real. You guys are still a FMG for good or bad. At the beggining it was only SGU students that thought they were the ****, then the ROSS students came along, then it was SABA, etc. Stop the complex that you guys have with the US medstudents. They are not smarter than you, their education is better but they are not smarter than you.

Being an FMG can be a little difficult getting the residency you want. You generally have to have better grades and USMLE's than the average guy. As far as the education being "better"; there isn't a "secret" aorta that they teach you at the American schools. The same doctor crap at Harvard is the same doctor crap at MUA. At the MD level the education is the same wherever you go, it's dependent on the student, not the school.