Help: Bacteria and Drugs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dean202

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm having a real tough time figuring out what antibiotics are used to treat which bacteria. I've been looking around online and I can't seem to find a clear layout of "This bacteria... use this drug".

I know thats an overly simplified way of putting it, but I just want a framework to start from. First Aid lays things out seperately (as do many of the other resources I use).

Anyone have a helpful suggestion or website to check out?

It would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I'm having a real tough time figuring out what antibiotics are used to treat which bacteria. I've been looking around online and I can't seem to find a clear layout of "This bacteria... use this drug".

I know thats an overly simplified way of putting it, but I just want a framework to start from. First Aid lays things out seperately (as do many of the other resources I use).

Cheers.

Clinical Micro Made Ridiculously Simple has a great chapter on this

I really liked the Microcards for this. The ones made by LWW, bot the BRS ones. They tell you what is used to treat each bacteria and they are great for memorizing the bugs. Worked for me... I also read CMMRS and thought it was ok for this, but the Microcards were better. It just takes repetition.

I had trouble with this during micro. I ended up making my own flashcards using information from CMMRS- I put the name of the bug on the front, and the drug(s) used to treat on the back. Worked very well for me. Unfortunately I threw the cards away so I'm going to have to go re-make them when I study for the boards (starting tomorrow!! eek!).

Members don't see this ad :)
In my opinion 1st Aid (I have 2007 version) is all you really need. The better you are at micro, the easier the drugs are to remember. Maybe writing the drugs down, main mechanisms of action, and key side effects over and over without looking might help. Doing a number of questions might help too (like Qbank or some other question source).

If you wanna be a step above the 90% of stuff you actually need to know (past 1st Aid) for the atbx. Buy Levinson's Review of Micro/Immuno (I have 9th edition). I got it this year for class and it has all you need and more.

No real easy way around micro and drugs for it. Gotta put in some time...pretty much only way.

Hey everyone,

Cheers.

PharMnemonics cards have some mnemonics that may help you in this regard.