Help build my "so there" file

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm also looking for two papers. One that discredits DRE's for occult blood testing (does it really matter if the guaiac was positive?) and another for neutropenic patients. I know lots of guidelines and textbooks mention neutropenia and thrombocytopenia as contraindications for rectal exams, but I can't find an actual paper that proves it.

Just because guaiacs are useless doesn't mean you don't have to do a DRE.

Members don't see this ad.

Just because guaiacs are useless doesn't mean you don't have to do a DRE.

Yes, but there aren't a whole lot of other reasons to do it either. Now, I'm not saying there are zero reasons, but I would argue 90% or more of rectals are done for guaiac purposes alone.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a side note, this thread is great for us incoming EM interns. I'm going to dust in off at the end of June and remind myself of all these little details. Right now I'm too busy lazing around and enjoying my fourth year to do any studying!

This paper isn't purely clinical like the other papers in this thread but I can't believe that it hasn't been mentioned yet. Birdstrike's recent thread bumped it back up into my consciousness.

The Cost of Satisfaction A National Study of Patient Satisfaction, Health Care Utilization, Expenditures, and Mortality

Background Patient satisfaction is a widely used health care quality metric. However, the relationship between patient satisfaction and health care utilization, expenditures, and outcomes remains ill defined.
Methods We conducted a prospective cohort study of adult respondents (N = 51 946) to the 2000 through 2007 national Medical Expenditure Panel Survey, including 2 years of panel data for each patient and mortality follow-up data through December 31, 2006, for the 2000 through 2005 subsample (n = 36 428). Year 1 patient satisfaction was assessed using 5 items from the Consumer Assessment of Health Plans Survey. We estimated the adjusted associations between year 1 patient satisfaction and year 2 health care utilization (any emergency department visits and any inpatient admissions), year 2 health care expenditures (total and for prescription drugs), and mortality during a mean follow-up duration of 3.9 years.
Results Adjusting for sociodemographics, insurance status, availability of a usual source of care, chronic disease burden, health status, and year 1 utilization and expenditures, respondents in the highest patient satisfaction quartile (relative to the lowest patient satisfaction quartile) had lower odds of any emergency department visit (adjusted odds ratio [aOR], 0.92; 95% CI, 0.84-1.00), higher odds of any inpatient admission (aOR, 1.12; 95% CI, 1.02-1.23), 8.8% (95% CI, 1.6%-16.6%) greater total expenditures, 9.1% (95% CI, 2.3%-16.4%) greater prescription drug expenditures, and higher mortality (adjusted hazard ratio, 1.26; 95% CI, 1.05-1.53).
Conclusion In a nationally representative sample, higher patient satisfaction was associated with less emergency department use but with greater inpatient use, higher overall health care and prescription drug expenditures, and increased mortality.

Fenton JJ, Jerant AF, Bertakis KD, Franks P. The Cost of Satisfaction: A National Study of Patient Satisfaction, Health Care Utilization, Expenditures, and Mortality. Arch Intern Med. 2012;172(5):405-411. doi:10.1001/archinternmed.2011.1662.