[Help] CC student to pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tlt2796

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm a cc student, so I'd like to ask about what pharm schools have accepted pretty much cc students, because I want to list some schools over >100 schools.
Thank you for your time. I appreciate it.
Tri. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,
I'm a cc student, so I'd like to ask about what pharm schools have accepted pretty much cc students, because I want to list some schools over >100 schools.
Thank you for your time. I appreciate it.
Tri. :)

Short answer:

1. Most schools will accept CC students, but it will place you at a competitive disadvantage at some.

2. Check with the schools you're interested in (i.e. check their websites or email/call them personally) to find out what their stance is on CC credits.

Long answer:

This has been answered about a bazillion times. More detailed answers are a click of the search function away :)

If you plan on staying in CA then only Western and UOP are your choices.

For out of state, you can research the schools you find interesting.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you planning on applying to only CA schools, then you're going to have a tough time. Most CA schools require that you have a bachelors degree.

Have you thought about taking the PCATs and applying out of state?

To R2pharmD2: I did search, but I couldn't find it. :( I just found out the GPA, not the schools. Sorry about that.
To 30Percent: Thanks for your advice. I would pay attention to these schools :)
To BabyBelle: ya, I know it's really tough at CA :(. There're lots of great students in CA applying to pharm schools :(. My dream school is Midwestern U at Glendale, Arizona, but I also consider other schools to raise my chance. Could you give me some recommendation, please? :) I really appreciate it.
One more question :D: how about extracurricular activities? :( I have no idea about it. I just have pharmacy experience so far. Is it considered as extracurricular activity?

To R2pharmD2: I did search, but I couldn't find it. :( I just found out the GPA, not the schools. Sorry about that.
To BabyBelle: ya, I know it's really tough at CA :(. There're lots of great students in CA applying to pharm schools :(. My dream school is Midwestern U at Glendale, Arizona, but I also consider other schools to raise my chance. Could you give me some recommendation, please? :) I really appreciate it.
One more question :D: how about extracurricular activities? :( I have no idea about it. I just have pharmacy experience so far. Is it considered as extracurricular activity?

I think you have a good chance at MWU-Glendale. I interviewed there and they mentioned that they do accept students with only CC credits. Just make sure you have a solid PCAT score.

If you worked at a pharmacy then it's considered work experience. Joining some clubs or volunteering would be good ways to get some EC activities.

I went to a CC too (actually got my bachelors from a university but went back a year later and took most of my pharmacy pre-reqs at a community college) and I got into every school I interviewed at, and got interview invites at every school I applied to. I got accepted to Midwestern CPG in January, and the dean said they STRONGLY prefer a bachelor's degree but there were 2 people at the interview who didn't and wouldn't have one by matriculation so anything can happen! Just work on making the other areas of your application as strong as possible- kill the PCAT, high GPA, great LOR's (definitely try to get one from a pharmacist) and equally important do lots of EC activities and volunteer work (and if at all possible get into a pharm tech job). As for schools less focused on a bachelors, I know UIC and UW-Madison are two great schools that accept those without a degree. Plus there are tons of new schools that probably do too.

I went to a CC too (actually got my bachelors from a university but went back a year later and took most of my pharmacy pre-reqs at a community college) and I got into every school I interviewed at, and got interview invites at every school I applied to. I got accepted to Midwestern CPG in January, and the dean said they STRONGLY prefer a bachelor's degree but there were 2 people at the interview who didn't and wouldn't have one by matriculation so anything can happen! Just work on making the other areas of your application as strong as possible- kill the PCAT, high GPA, great LOR's (definitely try to get one from a pharmacist) and equally important do lots of EC activities and volunteer work (and if at all possible get into a pharm tech job). As for schools less focused on a bachelors, I know UIC and UW-Madison are two great schools that accept those without a degree. Plus there are tons of new schools that probably do too.

Wow! Great experience and advice. Thank you very much. MWU-CPG is my first choice. Btw, can you list the schools that you are accepted, please? Just for backup plans :). Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

Wow! Great experience and advice. Thank you very much. MWU-CPG is my first choice. Btw, can you list the schools that you are accepted, please? Just for backup plans :). Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

Sure no problem!

UW-Madison ~ accepted (this is where I will be attending)
Midwestern CPG~ accepted (will be declining admission)
Belmont Univeristy~ accepted (declined admission)
University of Georgia~ interview offered~ declined
Midwestern University- Downers Grove~ interview offered~ declined
Mercer University~ interview offered~ declined

My friend just got into UIC with no bachelors degree, no pharmacy experience, and not great PCAT scores. She had great GPA, good LOR's, tons of extracurriculars and volunteer, and shined in the interview. That's a great school, so if they're doing it I'm sure others are as well!

It's completely possible to get into a PharmD program with CC credits.

I ONLY have credits from CC (NCTC and HCC). I only applied to 5 schools, got an interview at all 5. Only attended 3 interviews and was accepted into all 3. Purdue is even going to throw in a scholarship :D

Admittedly, I am not your standard student. I'm little older than most, an international student with a pretty good resume, with great LOR's and a 4.0 (not hard when at CC, lol).

I'm not sure about the situation in CA, but with the rest of the US you shouldn't have a problem :)

Thanks for your advice. Midwestern CPG is my first choice, so can you please tell me more about it? Thank you.