Help choosing a needle holder

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kardon93

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I just started residency and doing surgery (Mainly on conjuctiva like Pterygium excisions).
I have had a thought time with my cheap needle holder when grabing the 10-0 nylon needle, now that im Looking into options to get a new one theres a lot i dont even know what to choose.

What would you recommend for better grabing a 10-0 suture? Should I go for a 6mm extra delicate? Or a 9 mm delicate jaws?

Members don't see this ad.

Your residency doesn't provide needle holders?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I don't know about you guys but I certainly have a new appreciation for my US residency program. Wow
Unfortunately thats how we rock ophthalmology outside of "developed" countries. Which accounts for 70% of the world. Lack of good surgical instruments, lack of technology, lack of access to anti-vegfs, etc. Those $10 chinese surgical instruments become a blessing for us.

Reactions: 1 user
Unfortunately thats how we rock ophthalmology outside of "developed" countries. Which accounts for 70% of the world. Lack of good surgical instruments, lack of technology, lack of access to anti-vegfs, etc. Those $10 chinese surgical instruments become a blessing for us.
Consider myself educated and humbled.

It's when I hear stuff like this that the realization returns that the amount of medical waste in the United States is absolutely out of control. Like single-use eye drops/discarding for every surgical encounter, nicu pre ROP drops, etc.

Reactions: 1 user