Help choosing a needle holder

Started by kardon93
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kardon93

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi I just started residency and doing surgery (Mainly on conjuctiva like Pterygium excisions).
I have had a thought time with my cheap needle holder when grabing the 10-0 nylon needle, now that im Looking into options to get a new one theres a lot i dont even know what to choose.

What would you recommend for better grabing a 10-0 suture? Should I go for a 6mm extra delicate? Or a 9 mm delicate jaws?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well I don't know about you guys but I certainly have a new appreciation for my US residency program. Wow
Unfortunately thats how we rock ophthalmology outside of "developed" countries. Which accounts for 70% of the world. Lack of good surgical instruments, lack of technology, lack of access to anti-vegfs, etc. Those $10 chinese surgical instruments become a blessing for us.
 
Unfortunately thats how we rock ophthalmology outside of "developed" countries. Which accounts for 70% of the world. Lack of good surgical instruments, lack of technology, lack of access to anti-vegfs, etc. Those $10 chinese surgical instruments become a blessing for us.
Consider myself educated and humbled.

It's when I hear stuff like this that the realization returns that the amount of medical waste in the United States is absolutely out of control. Like single-use eye drops/discarding for every surgical encounter, nicu pre ROP drops, etc.