help choosing program at CSUEB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eastbay

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm thinking I might possibly be doing the grade enhancer program at csueb, but I would like some input to see what is the best option for me.

I'm currently on schedule to take the mcat in late april. I am quite confident that I can score mid 30s on it. However, my undergrad gpa is below average (3.2) with double majors. I have excellent research experience, and have no doubt that it will be my forte. I sort of screwed around in college and didn't take it too seriously until near graduation, but now I'm dead on track to steer in the right direction.

With that all said, and assuming that I will do relatively well on the mcat, would it be a good idea to also do the postbac as a backup plan? My co-workers in lab are telling me to just apply this year, but personally I'm not confident with my undergrad gpa, and I would not want to be wasting another year in case I don't get in anywhere.

So right now I'm leaning toward applying to postbac as well as med school at the same time. If it turns out that I do mediocre on the mcat, I'd probably just go ahead and start the postbac.

What do you think? What's the best option for me to minimize any time wasted during this process. Ideally I would not want to waste any more gap years. If I were to do the program at csueb, which session should I take? What's the advantage of each?

thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

However, my undergrad gpa is below average (3.2) with double majors. I have excellent research experience, and have no doubt that it will be my forte. I sort of screwed around in college and didn't take it too seriously until near graduation, but now I'm dead on track to steer in the right direction.

My co-workers in lab are telling me to just apply this year, but personally I'm not confident with my undergrad gpa, and I would not want to be wasting another year in case I don't get in anywhere.

So right now I'm leaning toward applying to postbac as well as med school at the same time. If it turns out that I do mediocre on the mcat, I'd probably just go ahead and start the postbac.

What do you think? What's the best option for me to minimize any time wasted during this process. Ideally I would not want to waste any more gap years. If I were to do the program at csueb, which session should I take? What's the advantage of each?

thanks in advance
Ignore your co-workers, you are about 2 standard deviations below zero for average matriculating MD student. You'd just be wasting your $$$.

Calculate how high your cGPA and sGPA will get with a year of upper level science classes somewhere - generally, if you aren't breaking 3.4 overall, then you need an SMP. And even if you do break 3.4, you still might need an SMP.

Ignore your co-workers, you are about 2 standard deviations below zero for average matriculating MD student. You'd just be wasting your $$$.

Calculate how high your cGPA and sGPA will get with a year of upper level science classes somewhere - generally, if you aren't breaking 3.4 overall, then you need an SMP. And even if you do break 3.4, you still might need an SMP.

so even with mid 30 mcat I'd have no chance?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not with a 3.2 and not in California by far

Last time i looked these up for MD matriculant (California is higher) they were:
Average cGPA: 3.65 +/- 0.22 (1 standard dev)
MCAT 31 +/-2 (1 standard dev)

So you are about 2 standard deviations below average (look what % that puts you in). Also everyone thinks they are going to get a 35 on the MCAT - to put some perspective on it, a 30 puts you at about the 80-85% of those who take the test, and a 35 puts you in the top 5% of all accepted MD students.... it grinds my gears a little when people cavalierly assume they are top 5% of the matriculant MD material (yes, some of you will - most will not).

I have a 3.1 GPA at UCB. I am considering applying to the CSUEB PHAP program but wonder how are the teachers, can I get away with applying after only 3 quarters, do they conduct an interview when applying, are the advisers helpful and what is the success rate of student from the program getting in med/dental school. Thanks

If your gpa is over 3.0 and less than 3.4, you should do SMP instead of going to CSUEB. I only know few people that got into MD's after finishing the program. Plenty of people get into DO's though. I am not saying that program is terrible. It just provides a place for you to take undergrad courses. "success rate" of postbac program/SMPs can be misleading because it is dependent on strengths of application of students who are in the program.

It appears easier to get into the CSUEB PHAP than a SMP. The former does not require a GRE test score. The program at SFSU has a high acceptance rate, but I know they are more selective than CSUEB. There are many people on this thread who applied to the CSUEB PHAP program which fueled my inquiry..