Help Choosing Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ts1991

UKCOM 2018
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I am actually a pre-med student but am trying to help my fiancé find psychology graduate programs. I understand how to find medical school information well, and have found many useful resources like the MSAR that simply list requirements and statistics about the schools. However, I have not found anything useful like this when helping her look for psychology graduate programs. I'm looking for info such as; average GRE accepted, in-state vs out-of-state, cost, what degree types offered, anything of that sort. So far, we have just been using google to look up every single individual school. Do you all have any suggestions to make this process easier for us, is there any better way than tediously googling every school?? Thanks in advance.

EDIT:
Additionally, I am unsure of how the psy graduate school system is set up. If one were interested in neuropsychology, for example, would you simply apply to a doctorate program and then participate in a fellowship afterwards? Or would you have to apply to a neuropsychology PsyD program right off the bat? Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There's a book called Graduate Studies in Psychology, which lists most of the information you're looking for; that said, when you apply to grad programs in psychology, you're looking at FIT with a potential mentor more than the basic what-are-my-chances-based-on-my-stats stuff. Your fiancé needs to look at the specific professors in his/her area of interest.

There's a book called Graduate Studies in Psychology, which lists most of the information you're looking for; that said, when you apply to grad programs in psychology, you're looking at FIT with a potential mentor more than the basic what-are-my-chances-based-on-my-stats stuff. Your fiancé needs to look at the specific professors in his/her area of interest.

Ok great, thank you very much. I'll go look for that book now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Another good book is "Insider's Guide to Graduate Programs in Clinical and Counseling." I used that book (and my boyfriend found it invaluable years later when he applied). It might be more reasonably priced than the other book that was recommended.

The most helpful resource I found when beginning my search for programs was an online search tool offered by APA. It's called graduate study online, I think it cost about twenty dollars for a year membership. It allows you to filter the results by different criteria like location, programs offered, average gpa of accepted students etc.